• hypothetical question

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Steve F45

Lets say there was a derailment along the nysw line up past butler blocking all traffic. Repairs are goign to take days, how would NYSW get traffic moving? I had thought well maybe they can cut thru the saddle brook yard and go up the siding to the NJT mainline, is this possible? what other alternatives are there?

by washingtonsecondary

The riverline is a possibility, and I think its been done a few times. The Lehigh Line is also possible, though never done (Croxton-OakIsland-Allentown to Bingo).

by cjvrr

NS / NJT/MN and the NYS&W have an agreement to use each other's lines in case of derailment.

There have been a few occasions that had the NYS&W running down the through Suffern and into the yard at Saddle Brook just as they did prior to the reopening of the NYS&W main in 1986.

Conrail and possibly NS have also run trains down the NYS&W when a derailment occurred between Campbell Hall and Suffern. I remember the first time it happened was in the early 1990s.

NYS&W has also run trains through Selkirk but that has been pretty rare.

Chris

by Steve F45

if something did happen on the Main line and had to have it rerouted over nysw, where would it get back on the main line if it started at PJ?

by cjvrr

2005VDub,

By "PJ" do you mean Port Jervis or Passaic Junction?

Either way the connections between the lines are at Hudson Junction (just east of Campbell Hall and at Passaic Junction (Saddle Brook). A connection also exists near Croxton Yard at the extreme east end of the NYS&W line.

By compass the alignment at Hudson Junction favors the northbound NYS&W to westbound Metro North (NJT/NS) movement or the eastbound MN to southbound NYS&W movement.

Passaic Junction by compass favors a westbound NYS&W to northbound NJT movement or southbound NJT to eastbound NYS&W.

When a derailment blocked the line near Woodbury Commons a few years back, freights were run down the NYS&W by CR or NS, and either backed out onto the NJT main at Saddle Brook or went all the way down to Croxton on the NYS&W. NJT and MN trains service was switched to busses.

by Steve F45

PJ, i meant port jervis. I have alot to learn when it comes to the nicknames of alot of places.

by GOLDEN-ARM

PJ: Port Jervis, BT: Passaic Junction, as I remember it....... :-D

by washingtonsecondary

PC is passaic junction

by NJ Vike

by GOLDEN-ARM

Right you are, kind Sir!!! Now, if I could only remember where the hell BT was....... On the SIRT, perhaps.......? :(
  by jadams02

The connection between the Erie's Bergen County line and the Susquehanna was originally called Coalberg junction. It was connection into the yard there. This was close to the Susquehanna's Passaic junction were their line to Passaic diverged from their mainline. Over time the name Coalberg was dropped and the connection between the Susequhanna and Erie became known as Passaic junction as well. In EL days I believe it was also referred to as BT or Bergen Transfer because of the freight interchange that occurred there. BT turns used to originate out the Port Jervis yard which in EL days was designated PO not PJ.

by Sirsonic

BT or Bergen Transfer is "upstairs" on the Erie, now NJT, Bergen County Line. It is the other end of the connection to the NYS&W.
  by manhattan exile

I presume we can also consider the NYSW connection with the Main Line just west of the Passaic River/Paterson near Hawthorne. Does this connection have a name?

Also, has any NJT equipment actually operated on NYSW rails due to derailment/other issues?