• Hunter Harrison at CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by JohnJ

Despite Harrison's apparent dislike for hump yards, the former Illinois Central Johnston Yard in Memphis was rebuilt from a flat-switching facility into an automated hump yard during his tenure with Canadian National. Ironically, the yard was renamed after him as part of the rebuild, and remains as Harrison Yard even after his departure for CP and now CSX. I wonder how many other major rail facilities are named after the CEO of a competing railroad.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The Wall Street Journal reports on the CSX Shareholder Meeting complete with a photo I would think they could do without:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/csx-chief-s ... 1496674681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
..Mr. Harrison walked through the lobby of the historic Jefferson Hotel here using an oxygen machine and was connected to the device on stage at the annual shareholder meeting. He told the audience that the board is “fully apprised with my medical condition” and that his doctor has cleared him to work.

The 72-year-old hasn’t disclosed details of his condition, but shareholders overwhelmingly voted to approve an $84 million payment tied to his decision to join CSX earlier this year. CSX said more than 93% of the votes cast were in favor of the reimbursement
  by ccutler

Terrible thing to say, but, he may not be with CSX very long if his health is degrading.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Holding an executive position with CSX "has a way" of being hazardous to your health:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=160526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by mmi16

Notices have been given - CSX Train Dispatchers are headed back to Jacksonville.
  by Tadman

phillymountainrailfan wrote:Is it true that hunter will instruct train crews to write up railfans filming or taking pictures of csx trains?
it's not high school. He can write up the fans all he wants, but if they remember to stay off the property when filming, he can't do anything. Also I would assume this is at the bottom of his list of issues. He's focused on operations and financial performance.
  by railwayworker

IM Looking to Railfan CSX Montreal in Southern QC What times and Train symbols would i be able to see Valleyfield or Huntingdon Quebec
  by bluedash2

Tadman wrote:
phillymountainrailfan wrote:Is it true that hunter will instruct train crews to write up railfans filming or taking pictures of csx trains?
it's not high school. He can write up the fans all he wants, but if they remember to stay off the property when filming, he can't do anything. Also I would assume this is at the bottom of his list of issues. He's focused on operations and financial performance.
I know we all love trains but I can't believe someone even asked that question. Seriously. I never heard of anything about him in regard to fans from past years so please enlighten us if there was any issues with fans.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr Harrison to C&E, no napping.

From Today's Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-more-na ... 1500024602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
Hunter Harrison joined the railway as chief executive in March, promising to quickly jolt the company’s culture and bring on tighter schedules, faster trains and less downtime.

One casualty of the new plan: napping breaks, which train conductors and engineers were allowed for up to 45 minutes under a strict protocol when trains were stopped. Now, any on-the-job shut-eye is forbidden.

“We had a rule that said you could take a nap while you worked,” Mr. Harrison said in a recent interview. “We don’t have that now.”

The change, instituted by the 72-year-old railroad veteran in a half-page bulletin in April, eliminated more than two decades of allowable naps on CSX trains. It also put CSX at odds with its U.S. rivals. BNSF Railway Co., Kansas City Southern Corp., Norfolk Southern Corp. and Union Pacific Corp. , allow napping under certain conditions, as do hundreds of other smaller railways
The Rules had allowed napping under certain conditions, but on Mr Harrison's road, not anymore. And lest we forget nowadays, "Big Brother is watching".

All other Class I 's still allow such under their Rules.

But then, under the "precision railroading" banner, trains are not held for an hour awaiting a meet, or three hours, as noted in the article, outside the final terminal for "whatever creative writing says".
  by mmi16

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr Harrison to C&E, no napping.

From Today's Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-more-na ... 1500024602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Rules had allowed napping under certain conditions, but on Mr Harrison's road, not anymore. And lest we forget nowadays, "Big Brother is watching".

All other Class I 's still allow such under their Rules.

But then, under the "precision railroading" banner, trains are not held for an hour awaiting a meet, or three hours, as noted in the article, outside the final terminal for "whatever creative writing says".
Guess there needs to be a rule, no personal oxygen tanks allowed on CSX property!
  by Gilbert B Norman

The Wall Street Journal also reported on that same Earnings Call. The best takeaway from.their report is that Precision Railroading seems to be a little less precise:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/csx-warns-o ... 1500490256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
.CSX Corp. is telling some shippers to brace for growing pains, including additional days of transit times, as the railway implements Chief Executive Hunter Harrison’s plan to tighten schedules.

Mr. Harrison, who joined CSX in March, is in the early days of executing the “precision railroading” that he put in place while leading two of Canada’s largest railways. The strategy includes hewing to more precise schedules but upends some aspects of the Jacksonville, Fla., railroad company’s network, such as shutting down yards that sort long trains and idling hundreds of locomotives and freight cars.

During a call with analysts on Wednesday, CSX executives said they have told customers that as they are making these changes, any short-term disruptions would eventually pay off with a better-run railroad and more predictable delivery times.
Incidentially, CSX lost 5% yesterday and is down some 10% from its 52 week high. This no doubt in reaction to the local media reports noted immediately by Mr. Dick H.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dvg, it would almost seem that Yäger's business plan is to whack the property's people, plant, and equipment, drive up short term profits, Wall Street will perceive he's a miracle worker running up the stock price even further.

Then, when reality catches up with perception with deferred maintenance and deteriorated customer service....well it's time to "ausfahart".

Chessie has seen it all before with flamboyant showman Robert R. Young.
  by J.D. Lang

I wouldn't want to own a single share of CSX stock when the free fall starts. Gutting RR. assets and alienating your workforce isn't going to lead to the "Road to the Future" on the ex New York Central. Customers are going to leave in droves. I can just see the truck traffic on I-90 then.

John L.