Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

Well, it's now official. There will indeed be a Park car on the Hudson Bay during the month of October. In conjunction with this, VIA will also be including meals for sleeping car passengers (for a higher fare, of course).

Some of the details are on VIA's web site: VIA Rail Canada Introduces Enhancements to its Hudson Bay Service
  by jp1822

I was hoping the Park Car would be more of a fixture during peak periods - rather than just one month. VIA certainly has enough Skyline or Park Dome/Lounge cars on the roster to offer such service. Perhaps if the trial goes well with the Park Car, it will return a little more regularly. This train could use a dome car just for the variety of equipment on the route. There is a peak season for whales and polar bears that draw tourists to this train, let alone its essential service to this region.

by downbeat

According to the Via literature I've seen, the Park Car on the Hudson Bay is a viewing car to see northern lights ... far more attractive than tundra.
  by jp1822

I think it's going to be an equal trade-off to see the "northern lights" and the tundra. And it at least provides extra sleeper space and a better lounge than just the Diner that doubled as a Diner and Lounge. Certainly a need during peak season on this route.

VIA seems to be offering the Park Car as a car that could be chartered as well. Interesting concept.

These are just really unique cars and VIA should try to utilize them as much as they can, while still keeping enough spares to ensure service of the cars continues. Skeena and Canadian are a must have for these cars, as is the Ocean during peak season to keep Easterly Class going.

As mentioned, I think the Chaleur operates fine with its Skyline Dome car.

Perhaps I'd just give it consideration to operate more Park Cars during peak seasons, at least, on the Ocean and Hudson Bay line. And perhaps occasionally during peak seasons on trains that originate out of Montreal (i.e. the Abiti). Would this be during fall foilage season and perhaps some winter or summer trips? I would love to incorporate a vacation out of the Abiti and other train it combines/separtes from originating from Montreal, but I just can't see myself sitting in coach for tha long ride and no food service on top of it.
  by Ken V

jp1822 wrote:... And perhaps occasionally during peak seasons on trains that originate out of Montreal (i.e. the Abiti). Would this be during fall foilage season and perhaps some winter or summer trips? I would love to incorporate a vacation out of the Abiti and other train it combines/separtes from originating from Montreal, but I just can't see myself sitting in coach for tha long ride and no food service on top of it.
Woah! The Abitibi and Saguenay may not have a dining car, but no food service? Not true. It may not be extravagant but there is at your seat service available, although I'd admit it's mostly junk food. --> Abitibi/Saguenay menu
  by jp1822

Thanks Ken V for clearing that up on those two trains regardig food service. For some reason I didn't realize it offered food service. My oversight on that one. But as you mention, the menu is not all that great. Again, I'd likely only take this trip if a private car happened to be attached and there was an opportunity to ride aboard etc. I would just also want some sort of lounge car, other than my coach seat to spread out at.

by briann

At last some good news...
"Churchill port, rail line to see $68M in improvements"
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story ... ml?ref=rss

BrianN
  by jp1822

Well that's good to hear. How is the Hudson Bay train doing with the Park Car now in tow? I assume Chateau sleeper are being used, and VIA is selling sleeper space in the Park Car?

by Ken V

The Hudson Bay is using Chateau sleepers. The ex-Amtrak Northern Spirit cars have been more or less permanently sidelined. As far as I know, the sleeping space in the Park car is being used by the onboard services staff and is not being offered to the public.
  by jp1822

Even if used by the crew - it frees up revenue space in the Chateau cars!
  by jp1822

What seems to be the status of the Park Car Dome/Lounge on the Hudson Bay line. Is it being well received by passengers? It's a nice change up for passengers along this route.

by Ken V

(on another thread) jp1822 wrote:VIA's Hudson Bay Line is now all operated with Budd ex-CP stainless steel cars (Chateau Sleepers) and an F40 diesel? The "Northern Spirit cars are now "out of service for good?" Could they be brough back East and used on perhaps the corridor (if there was still an overnight train on the Montreal-Toronto corridor)? I heard these sleepers (ex-Amtrak cars) couldn't adapt or operate successfully in the cold Canadian climate.

Would love to take a trip on the Hudson Bay train and spend a couple of days up in Churchill but it would turn into a lot of vacation days to give up at work. I'd have to take the Canadian from Toronto out to Winnipeg, or fly out to Winnipeg and then take the train up to Churchill. I'd want to stay and tour Churchill for a couple of days, but I'd also have to be mindful of the train's tri-weekly schedule.
After any plans for western expansion were shelved, VIA has little use for the Northern Spirit sleepers. There are more than enough Manor and Chateau cars to cover existing services. I doubt they will see service again unless the political climate changes. Sadly, I also believe we've seen the last of overnight trains in the Quebec City-Windsor corridor.

A trip to Churchill, while time consuming, I think is quite worthwhile. One option, to save time, would be taking the train between Winnipeg and Churchill one way and flying the other way.
  by jp1822

Is a Park Car now operating full-time on the Hudson Bay train? The website would believe one to think this, unless they have some links messed up on the website. I know they operated the Park Car during the peak season - and to try and attract more patronage etc. But again, the way I was reading the online info for this train, it appeared that the Park Car is now a permanent fixture. VIA has enough Park Cars to outfit this train, and it certainly would be a nice addition to have more Park Cars out on the road than "parked."

Course I also see that VIA is trying to "rent out" the Park Cars on certain routes that don't have them (i.e. in eastern Canada).
  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:Is a Park Car now operating full-time on the Hudson Bay train? The website would believe one to think this, unless they have some links messed up on the website.........
Just read this link on VIA's website and it says access to the Park Car on the "Hudson Bay" is available from Oct 1 to 31.

http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_prai_wich.html
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Thu May 15, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jp1822

http://www.viarail.ca/classes/en_serv_c ... _wich.html

This link caused my confusion, where it talks specifically about the Hudson Bay train. But it is outlined in the Sleeper section as you noted also on this page that it is only offered between Oct 1-31. But they really make the Park Car section stick out for operating just one month out of the whole year.

I wish VIA would get some more exercise with its fleet of Park Cars. Perhaps even putting them on some of the trains heading up to the interior of Quebec from Montreal. I doubt the Chaleur will get a Park Car in place of its Skylie car, when they operate it as a separate train. Plus the Skyline car accomodates both sleeper and coach passengers. And it gets a good work out or patronage from what I've observed on some trips out to Gaspe. The Park Car no longer operates regularly on the Ocean (only during peak season). I think Easterly Class would sell well at peak periods, even without the full "Maritime Experience." I am sure they could just assign an extra attendant to the car - and dress him/her up as needed like they do for the Maritime Experience, but just offer appetizers and wine tastings and maybe some commentary etc. I would think around some holidays in what VIA considers the "off season" the Ocean become more populated.

Does anyone have a count as to how many Park Cars are required during peak and off-peak season for VIA's various trains? Do they ever operate the Park Car on the trains that go into the interior of Quebec? I suspect the reason why VIA is willing to "rent" these cars out is because they have a little bit of a surplus. But I would think operating such on the Hudson Bay train year-round wouldn't put a huge dent in the fleet's availability. Just two train sets are required for the tri-weekly Hudson Bay trains right? Perhaps they could rent them to Amtrak for operation on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal! A Skyline Car would work better though. Although for the Adirdonack operating with a Park Car (wishful thinking) I'd be willing to occupy a sleeper for my own "space." I am sure the border patrol would have an issue with it, as well as VIA and Amtrak though!