Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by 7express

I thought once in a blue moon an M2/4/6 would take a revenue trip up to NWP or Harmon if the set needed to go to one of those yards for a specific service??

But yah, besides that occasion, M6 are only on the New Haven, and they're starting to get phased out with the addition of the M8's.
  by fl9m2004

Mostly its the locals between New Cannan and Stamford and some main line trains between New Haven and Grand Central as well as some locals between Stamford and Grand Central and reverse
  by lirr42

7express wrote:I thought once in a blue moon an M2/4/6 would take a revenue trip up to NWP or Harmon if the set needed to go to one of those yards for a specific service??
Not exactly, chances are if a train has to go all the way to Harmon or NWP for something that couldn't be handled at either Stamford or New Haven already, it's not quite in revenue condition.
  by RearOfSignal

lirr42 wrote:
7express wrote:I thought once in a blue moon an M2/4/6 would take a revenue trip up to NWP or Harmon if the set needed to go to one of those yards for a specific service??
Not exactly, chances are if a train has to go all the way to Harmon or NWP for something that couldn't be handled at either Stamford or New Haven already, it's not quite in revenue condition.
It could to Harmon for wheel true or NWP for paint. It's rare but not unheard of. Of course there are many factors that would have to line up perfectly for a revenue move like that to happen, but it's certainly a feasible possibility.
  by runningwithscalpels

I thought I saw a picture circulating a few weeks ago where a set of 2/4/6's was running on the Harlem line pretty recently. It may have been on FB, I know it was posted from a Flickr account though. If I can find it I'll post the link.
  by RearOfSignal

Yes, there was a set that ran up the Harlem not too long ago, MNR #1 Conductor worked that train I believe.
  by truck6018

But yah, besides that occasion, M6 are only on the New Haven, and they're starting to get phased out with the addition of the M8's.
If you want to get technical every weekday there are M2/4/6's on the Hudson line going to Highbridge Yard.