• How long have you been railfanning NJT?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

Just was curious how long everyone here has been railfanning NJT? I began over 12 years ago now in Ridgewood NJ, watching the U34CH's every night. Been photographing about the same amount of time.

by njt4172

I actually started taking videos of NJT action in 1991........Didn't get into hardcore railfanning until 1993 or so....I have some pretty cool U-34CH videos although the camera shakes too much.....Cut me a break I was only 13 years old in 1991....... :-D

Steve

by Camelback

It depends on how you define "railfanning." I am not a photographer. The purpose of my time spent observing trains and train facilities and studying fallen flags (the way I define "railfanning") is to bring greater realism to the design and operation of model railroads. I've been doing this seriously for four years now since I've gotten back into model railroading.
  by henry6

I have "railfanned" since I was 4 or 5 on al lthe lines and thensome that make up NJT, so say, over 55 years...and I am sure I have alot of company!

by hsr_fan

Depends how you define railfanning, I suppose. I can remember being enthralled by trains as far back as I remember! :-D I didn't move to New Jersey until the end of 1986, though. I think it was probably 1987 or 1988 when I started hanging around NJ Transit property, which would've made me 12 or 13!

by nick11a

As a kid, I was into trains big time but lost interest around 3rd or 4th grade.

As a senior in Highschol, I got back into them. That was two years ago.

by Jtgshu

My earliest memories are 1, sitting on a train with orange seats (a C2) when I was very little going to Sesame St. Live in NY as a birthday present from my aunt and uncle.

Also, going back and forth to my freinds house (with mom driving) and seemingly ALWAYS getting caught at the Oak Hill Rd. xing, well before electrification and seeing the "Jersey builder" trains with all different cars, i remember the green ex-BN cars in particular fly down the railroad, with the E8's screaming

by pdman

My first memory and getting hooked: I was three or four and remember hearing a steam freight engine up in Stirling. I started to walk down through our woods to see the coming train. I remember my mother calling me, and my father finding me about half way (it was about a thousand feet from our house through the woods to the tracks). When my father picked me up and had me on his shoulders we waited for the train. It was operating backwards (tender first), pulling a string of cars eastbound toward Gillette and on to Summit. That must have been about 1947 or 48. I've been hooked since then.

There must be some defective gene that causes railfanning. I bet they discover it some day and will look back at it as a mild form of insanity. Makes no difference if it is or not; it's fun.

I majored in transportation in college, went to work for the B&O/C&O, then later got my Ph.D. in transportation and logistics. Have been a professor in the field ever since in addition to doing a lot of consulting in the industry.

by nick11a

^Some great memories there.

Well, my earliest memory would be me in Perth Amboy looking out my Grandma's window and seeing the NJCL with all of its passenger and freight trains. My grandfather would take me for walks along the boardwalk and I'd have my eyes fixated on the River Draw at all times. I can remember the Arrows crossing that bridge. Now, the arrows rarely cross that bridge, but at least I have the memories. I was at my grandma's house last night and I had my eyes set out that window watching the trains bound for Long Branch and Bay Head.

My first train ride on NJT though would be in October of 1990- a very special ride as I would also be treated to me first and only cab ride (thus far.) It was an Arrow II cab and they're gone now as well.

by steemtrayn

Since seeing PRR K4's passing our house on Silverside Ave in Little Silver, if that gives you an idea. Also rember the doodlebug, and it' strange horn, always got the dog howling.

by SecaucusJunction

When I was young, I lived a block away from the NYSW in Wyckoff. My father used to take me to Waldwick or Ramsey to watch the trains... after that, I was hooked. Been that way for the next 25 years or so....

by sullivan1985

A train trip to Hoboken by my Grandmother from rutherford got me hooked when I was about 2. Been nuts about them ever seince.

I think it was the second my train hit the Bergen Tunnels when I went crazy about them.

by PRRTechFan

My interest in railroading significantly pre-dated the birth of NJT... The North Jersey Coast Line was the New York and Long Branch railroad then and service was operated jointly by the Pennsylvania and Jersey Central railroads. I can vaguely remember PRR trains powered with K4 steam engines, which was replaced by E8 diesels.

My interest must have started just after I was born; my dad worked in New York and my mom would take me to pick up and drop off my dad at the station. He retired and bought a business in Brielle before I was 2, and although I was too young to recall those trips to the station, the seed must have been planted. My mom told me that I would fall asleep every evening after the train arrived. When my dad stopped taking the train, she had trouble getting me to go to sleep, so she did the only appropriate thing: she drove me to the Bay Head yard, parked by the tracks, waited for a train or two to come in and I was asleep...

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my mom took me to see the circus in New York City. We of course took the train. I had an engineer's cap with a PRR logo on it, and insisted on taking it with me. The conductor noticed. He talked to me about railroading on the trip, showed me inside the compartments that had the car lighting and generator controls and explained about steam heating and air brakes. (axle generators, batteries and steam heat. No HEP here, unless you count the steam....)

The payoff came at South Amboy when he took me to watch the engine change to GG-1 electric power. I had never seen a GG-1 before, and was awed by it's size and power. The engineer must have been well known to the conductor, because a few words were spoken and he took me back to my mom to ask if it was okay if I rode the engine....

The engineer stuck me in his seat at Rahway and off we went. Right hand on the brake controller (...had to hold down the brake lever in lieu of the my foot on the deadman pedal, which I was too short to reach...) and left hand on the throttle. Carefully following the engineer's instructions, depressed the button on the end of the throttle and pulled back one notch at a time... I was supposed to get off in Elizabeth, because there would likely be "management" personnel at Newark who would not have take kindly to my being in the cab. But the engine just barely overshot the platform at Elizabeth and I couldn't get off. At Newark, they spotted the dreaded "management", so I just kept my head down and rode all the way to NYP... I cannot tell you a thing about the circus that day, but I sure remember that trip...

When I was in high school, we would drive out to Princeton Junction on the weekends to train watch. I befriended one of the weekend operators at Nassau tower, and spent quite a few Sunday afternoons there. That was my first introduction to "interlocking plant" operations.

In college, I again took the train to Newark College of Engineering (now New Jersey Institute of Technology) in Newark. I became friends with the conductor (...who I have reason to believe, but could not prove; was the same one who put me on the GG-1 ten years earlier). He let me read the rule books and special orders; I put the corrections in for him every Monday, and I ran for coffee at the engine change in South Amboy. A couple of times he arranged a ride in the E8 from South Amboy to Manasquan. I was dying to ride a GG-1 again, but times were changing and that now much more difficult.

My first year in college, my girlfriend suprised me with tickets on the then brand new Metroliner from Philadelphia to New York. I think I spent most of the trip through New Jersey in the cab.

I think it was in 1979 that the rebuilt and repainted GG-1 (now in Strassburg) was re-dedicated in Washington. I took the Metroliner down, and begged the conductor for 15 or 20 minutes up front (...the first car was closed). The engineer would have let me stay for the entire trip, but the conductor came up to get us after about 15 minutes.

We re-dedicated the GG-1, I met Ramond Lowey and got his autograph. I took the train headed by the G back to Metropark. After Amtrak brass got off in Baltimore, they let a couple of us ride the front vestibule of the restored PRR private car on the rear of the train. That car had dutch doors and we hung out the side and took pictures of our own train on the curves. Try that today... It was a wonderful ride; the ride in the vestibule of the old "heavyweight" car was better than the plush seat of the Amtube. People lined the tracks to watch and wave; every tower had the operators hanging out the windows waving flags, and I think most traffic was stopped until we passed by; the crews were on the tracks behind their trains waving, engine horns blaring. Seeing the G all newly painted in the original colors must have been a blast from the past for all the railroad; it was a very moving sight watching all the people wave us by.

I took my first Acela Express trip to Boston and back last summer; very impressive. The acceleration and braking capabilities are awesome. But the condition of the track still leaves something to be desired.... To the gentlemen, I will warn you NOT to try and use the Acela rest rooms standing up at speeds over 125...

...and I would give just about anything for an Acela cab ride!

I became an electrical engineer; I think probably because of the early interest in trains which led to model trains, which led to learning to wire them. I've been fortunate to have worked on a moveable bridge replacement for the New York City Subway, the traction power and control system for the Newark monorail, and a few other small rail projects. I've picked up a lot of information and learned a lot about rail signaling as a result. And it all somehow started when my mom took me to meet my dad at the train, a little over 50 years ago....

by hsr_fan

One of my earliest train memories is of riding the train from Durango to Silverton in Colorado! My family lived in Farmington, NM at the time....I must've been about 4. I also vaguely remember seeing a steam locomotive on display at the Houston, TX zoo when I was still a baby. Apparently I was mad that they didn't use it anymore! :-)

I also remember visiting my grandparents in NJ when I was about 5, and having my grandfather point out a bunch of GG-1's in South Amboy from the train. They had probably just been retired at that point. I also distinctly remember his HO scale GG-1's and other model trains at his house. And he used to take us to ride the Black River & Western in Flemington, NJ, as well as the narrow gauge train at Allaire State Park. So maybe I got my love of trains from him!

Speaking of my grandfather, here's a rare photo from 1945 that my mom dug up! He's the second from the left standing up.

http://img39.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img39&im ... p513fe.jpg

by njt4172

Yeah, even though I didn't start taking pictures until 1991 or so, I do remember my first train trip was in 1982...I also remember my father taking me on the old DL&W electrics several times in 1983 and 1984...We would usually go from Convent Station to Maplewood and every now and then a trip into Hoboken from Denville then taking the Boonton line back.....

Those were the days....

Steve