• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Gilbert B Norman

Otto Vondrak wrote:This one slipped by me. I know we discussed this in the past, but isn't HRRC supposed to keep the entire route from Danbury to Derby Jct. in service as per the trackage rights agreement made with Providence & Worcester that allows them to access the Tilcon plant in Brookfield? Or have they just given up on enforcing that and just use their rights on the Metro-North Danbury Branch?
It would appear that Tilcon - a supplier of building and highway paving materials - would have need for railroad transportation. According to their website, they have a facility in Newtown (but no record of one in Brookfield). If P&W controls this traffic (there used to be an abundance of minerals around New Haven with which to make aggregate), then the most efficient way to handle would be through Derby Jct and interchange to Housy there.

Now does Housy think they have that Newtown facility captive and will force a routing through Springfield then Pittsfield in order to maximize their line haul, or what?

Enquiring mind wants to know; and it should be evident this enquiring mind has little use for this "joker railroad".
  by BandA

but a Housatonic Railroad Company official said most of them slipped just slightly off the tracks and were not seriously damaged.
Hmm. Boxcar part way down the embankment, just a widdle dewailment.
“Most of them were empty, so it wasn’t really an issue,” said Matthew Whitney, an associate general counsel for the railroad.
Why don't they create some sort of limited-liability structure to protect themselves, and lease or sell part of the railroad to the railway museum for $1. Let the museum fix up part of the track which HRRC then gets to use for free or low $. That would give Mr. Whitney something to do.
  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:This one slipped by me. I know we discussed this in the past, but isn't HRRC supposed to keep the entire route from Danbury to Derby Jct. in service as per the trackage rights agreement made with Providence & Worcester that allows them to access the Tilcon plant in Brookfield? Or have they just given up on enforcing that and just use their rights on the Metro-North Danbury Branch?
It would appear that Tilcon - a supplier of building and highway paving materials - would have need for railroad transportation. According to their website, they have a facility in Newtown (but no record of one in Brookfield). If P&W controls this traffic (there used to be an abundance of minerals around New Haven with which to make aggregate), then the most efficient way to handle would be through Derby Jct and interchange to Housy there.

Now does Housy think they have that Newtown facility captive and will force a routing through Springfield then Pittsfield in order to maximize their line haul, or what?

Enquiring mind wants to know; and it should be evident this enquiring mind has little use for this "joker railroad".
The Tilcon plant that receives aggregate is in Danbury, not Newtown. It's right here https://goo.gl/maps/Q84dLK9T2X32, just about where the Maybrook crosses under I-84. My impression is that HRRC doesn't get their hands on this traffic at all, that it is instead a 100% P&W operation via the Danbury Branch.

And yes, the aggregate comes from the New Haven area-- either the Reed's Gap quarry on the Air Line or the North Branford quarry on the Branford Steam RR.

I don't think anyone in their right minds would want to send a loaded stone train down the Berkshire from Canaan with the track in the shape it's in.
  by boatsmate

There is somewhere back in the messages, a thread (possible on the P&W Thread) about the HHRC not fixing there end of the track From Danbury to Derby Jct. P&W filed complaints, and not sure where it went.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They backed off and withdrew the complaint. It's still hanging unresolved, though.

Tactically P&W may be waiting for the Walk Bridge construction schedule to be released, since that forces the Danbury local off the New Haven Line onto the Maybrook. And because that's a CDOT project that gives the state a more viable wedge to mediate.

It definitely ain't over.
  by Ridgefielder

Supposing for a moment that P&W does go ahead and swallow the whole HRRC: would they be able to interchange Shore Line, Air Line and Danbury Branch traffic with CSX at Pittsfield? Or would paper barriers still force them to interchange at Cedar Hill?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

P&W doesn't want the Berkshire. Just Derby-Danbury and more control over the preferred route they already have rights to.
  by AMK0123

Don't know if it means much but, this past Wednesday afternoon I observed a Sperry hi-rail van inspecting the Maybrook line up to the state line. Once it hit the state line at milepost marker 41 it reversed back toward Danbury. I had previously posted under the Metro North forum that I had spoke to a few guys from Sperry last year and they stated that MTA had given them permission to use there Beacon line for training. They had said that they were only going to state line in New York and had said a couple of other off topic remarks about the HRRC. Don't know if they were given permission for training or if it was an actual inspection of the line... I assume HRRC would need to still have periodic inspections of there lines?
  by DutchRailnut

just testing of Sperry cars and training of Sperry crews, noting in planning as far as service.
  by SemperFidelis

"Werewolf."
"There."
"What?"
"There wolf. There castle."

Marty Feldman and Gene Wilder exchanging silliness in "Young Frankenstein".
  by freightguy

Walk Bridge project is already around 1 billion dollars, don't be surprised if the broke state of Connecticut does allocate money for P&W to use the old routing to avoid the Danbury branch during the project. I think with the work going on they may have to and the PW train will not be able to outlaw in Dock yard anymore.
  by DutchRailnut

They would need to redo at least 10 miles or so at $4 million per mile , not worth it for one train a day .
  by ebtmikado

That's why he's been trying to weasel the states to rehab the line for "passenger service". After a year or so of unsuccessful passenger ops, the service would be discontinued, leaving a class 3 or 4 railroad for its freight train.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Broadtop, the strategy of HRRC management shouldbe evident; siphon off enough in consultany fees to have some "breadcrumbs" (as in the movie "Bonfire of the Vanities") fall their way so they can all go home as happy campers.

Somehow if God grants me the strength to make it back to School for my 60th during 2021, I think I will see an abandoned railroad.