• Hot spots in the Kansas City area (question)

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by NS3737

Any advice on points of interest railway wise in the Kansas City area (100 miles radius from down town give or take a few miles) is very welcome.

Please also add an assessment on the general safety situation around the location and information where to park your car or even better accessibility by public transport if available. Directions to get there (by car or public transport) are also welcome.

I have a broad interest so anything on class I, II, II, yards or junctions goes. But I like to focues a bit on the KCS.

Thanks in advance!

Gijs
  by atsf sp

I recently visited the Kansas City area but I was unable to locate KCS yards. I did however see KCS AC4400s on UP tracks I crossed on RT29 North. I was on this spot to see BNSF Murray Yard. This is a great spot if you like the BNSF. It isn't Argentine size but it is large. If you are coming through Kansas City on RT 70, you want to take the exit for 29North and take it to exit 5A. You should take a left and cross over the first tracks. If you want to see engines you should keep going past RT9 and their are numerous roads that will take you to the engine refueling area. I saw over 40 engines in both BNSF, CSX, ATSF, and BN colors. This yard is easily accesible. Also Union Station has KCS and BNSF freight through it along with Amtrak and KCS 34.
  by NS3737

Atsf Sp

Thanks for your input, unfortunately just a little bit to late.

Luckily the Kansas City Railfan Yahoo group was quite a bit more helpfull.

One of the hot spots is Santa Fe Junction, never a dull moment. The KCS yard is not that hard to locate, I got a switcher and some road power parked there, besides KCS power I found also a DM&E unit.

Gijs
  by atsf sp

Well I just saw your post and wanted to spread some of the awesome spots of Kansas City. Where did you find the KCS yards and what kind of motive power. I saw a KCS AC4400CW out in Nebraska. Sorry I was to late though.
  by nssd70

To get to the KCS/ICE Knoche Yard take I-435 to the HWY 210 exit go West on HWY 210 to Choteau Trafficway and take it South until you run into the KCS yard there is a road that parrells the yard to the West of Choteau Trafficway.

Doug