• HO Varney Casey Jones Question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by IEATLT1

I have a box of trains I aquired as a small kid. early 80's. I would like to know more information on the varney casey jones HO Gauge.

This is the one I have with actual pics of the train.

I have no idea if it works or not.

This thing is very heavy for as small as it is. I believe the date on the inspected slip is 11-30-60 but not sure on the last digit

I have a bunch of other old stuff but this is the only thing that it's really been almost impossable to get a clear answer on.

by Dieter

I love VARNEY. Does it still run?

D/

by pennsy

Hi,

Considering that it is still in its original box, my guess is you lucked out. If you can't run it yourself, head for the local model RR hobbly shop and let them put it on the test track. I will guess that after a cleaning and lubrication, which the hobby shop can give you and show you how to do it yourself, you will have something called NOS, New Old Stock. That is brand new equipment, never been run, but never been out of its box.

by IEATLT1

I'm trying to find a local train shop as I live in a small town in southern ohio... not many around

by CNJ999

The Varney "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 : Not an actual representation of the famous Illinois Central locomotive, which looked decidedly different. A largely Zamac model introduced by Varney in 1951, with production continuing until 1964 under that firm's name. A somewhat generic model initially offered in kit form and later as RTR. Produced in large numbers and offered under many road names. Still commonly seen on eBay today. This locomotive is still in production today under the Bowser name, as are repair parts.

CNJ999

by ApproachMedium

Thats funny that this locomotive was posted on here. I just aquired from a death in the family of a close friend, a few old HO locomotives and this exact engine was one of the ones in the group. Mine however, is far from New old stock. It would be nice if I had a clue how to get it up and going again since it seems like an electrical nightmare. I have no idea how it grounds itself or does anything. The engine is dirty from sitting on a shelf for years and probably needs lots of cleaning. Is it even worth it to mess with this old varney engine or would it be better off left to a shelf or gotten rid of?

I also got a Mantua steam engine of about the same age, very heavy and in about the same condition.

by deezlfan

While that is a nice find in excellant condition, I would take issue with calling it NOS. From the looks of the box, you could not claim it has never been operated. If there is any evidence that the loco has been operated on rails, it would NOT be NOS. I would caution you against using that term, especially if you are advertizing it for sale.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Depends on how it was operated and by whom. If the engine was taken out of its box by the Model RR shop salesperson and run on a test track to demonstrate to the prospective buyer that it was in perfect running order, it is still NOS. If anything that would make the engine more desirable.

by krobar

Unless there are parts missing, such as valvegear, or any of the rods, it shouldn't take much to get the Varney (or Mantua) locos running again. The motor is grounded to the frame, power pickup comes from the wheels that do not have any insulators on the axles. Look where the end of the axle and wheel are joined. If you see a plastic looking piece inserted there, that is the side that's insulated. Power pick up for that side comes from the tender wheels. Careful cleaning, inspection, and lubing should get those old timers running again. :-)