• high speed turnouts

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

benltrain wrote:There was another thread on this forum, started by yours truly, called "switches" where I remember somebody said there are interlockings that can be taken at 150 straight through.
i have never heard of a speed switch that can go 150 mph....that is waaayyyy too fast for a train to take a switch over

by Tim

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
benltrain wrote:There was another thread on this forum, started by yours truly, called "switches" where I remember somebody said there are interlockings that can be taken at 150 straight through.
i have never heard of a speed switch that can go 150 mph....that is waaayyyy too fast for a train to take a switch over
I don't know about 150mph, but there is (as I remember) one recently-installed interlocking/set of points on the East Coast Main Line in England that is rated to be taken without slowing down, i.e. 125mph. It's near York, I *think*.
  by amtrakhogger

The max speed for turnouts on the NEC is 80 mph. Usually you get
a "Cab Speed 80" indication in the cab at the distant signal or at code
point in 562 territory before the interlocking and then the same at the home signal. However, you can get a "Cab Speed 60" due to a signal progression or for a 60 mph turnout.

At Portal Interlocking, you will get a "Cab Speed 60" if you are going from
2 to A track going into Secaucus.

by pennsy

Hi All,

When Metrolink went in locally, Herzog Co. put the rails and switches in. One switch I witnessed being installed was built right next to the ROW and slid into place. An Engineering Drawing was used to build the turnout. In the notes, the turnout was certified at 110 mph straight through, and 85 mph through the curve. This is normal procedure for such drawings. The drawing will contain the maximum speed straight through, and maximum speed through the curve.
  by timz

amtrakhogger wrote:
At Portal Interlocking, you will get a "Cab Speed 60" if you are going from
2 to A track going into Secaucus.
And then 45 mph thru Secaucus itself?

But track 2 to track B would be 80 at Portal then 60 thru Secaucus?

by mannybrown

Here is a picture of a Japanese turnout designed for about 100 mi/h through the curve

http://www.railway-technical.com/Japane ... 60-kmh.jpg

as you can see they have seven point motors, and to my knowledge there are no turnouts like this on the NEC.

by slashmaster

mannybrown wrote:Here is a picture of a Japanese turnout designed for about 100 mi/h through the curve

http://www.railway-technical.com/Japane ... 60-kmh.jpg

as you can see they have seven point motors, and to my knowledge there are no turnouts like this on the NEC.
Very interesting pic!

by slashmaster

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
I understand why a train can't take the curved part at 150 but why would going straight through any switch be a big deal?

by David Benton

anyone know the diverging speed on the french tgv ??

Re:

by Thomas I

David Benton wrote:anyone know the diverging speed on the french tgv ??
220km/h (= 137,5mph)

The fastet turnout in Germany is type EW 60-16000/6100-1:40,154-fb, straight speed = 330km/h (= 206mph), diverging speed = 220km/h (= 137,5mph).