• Help in identifying old photo location

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by oldmanbea

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:It's looking south from North White Plains. The bridge in the background is I-287. This is a 1950's, 1960's photo. There were all sorts of tracks to the south of the station and the Holland Avenue platform.

http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/metropolitan/pc_90292.jpg

Found this picture from 1969. The picture in question could not be earlier than 1958-59 if that is 287, as that is when construction began.

by JBlaisdell

Have to diasagree with you there. Not sure how clear the copy is for you, but on mine he has his back to the camera, so the maul is in his right hand, his left hand holding the bottom of the handle.
I can see that now. I had to pose and see where the camera would be. I guess some got lost in the scan...

It does look like NWP (comparing it to the pic with the tower in it). But what of that track that cuts across the lines right to left? Was this a track to allow easier engine changes thru the interlocking?

by Lackawanna484

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm starting to think that yes, this photo is taken at or near Holland Avenue platform near White Plains North station.... the track configuration has changed over the years, but when you go there today you can tell that there is room for more tracks than there are now.

-otto-
Did Holland have northbound and southbound platforms, or just southbound? I seem to recall it was like PRR's Jersey Avenue in that it was uni-directional

There was a detailed track diagram of NWP-Holland in Railfan within the past year, I'll see if I can find it.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The platform on the left in the distance is the Holland Avenue Platform which existed only on the northbound side, and served locomotive hauled trains heading to locations north of North White. It was located 1/4 mile south of the old White Plains North Station. Its counterpart was the Southbound Platform, located further north, directly across from the White Plains North Station near the yard entrance. This platform served southbound trains coming down from points above North White. White Plains North Station itself was on the east side of the tracks and served MU's originating and terminating their runs at North White Plains. The switch going off to the left served a coal or lumber company, located approximately where the current Haarlem Avenue entrance (stairs and elevators) are to the current North White Plains station built in 1972 to replace all of the older facilities.

by dc700

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm starting to think that yes, this photo is taken at or near Holland Avenue platform near White Plains North station.... the track configuration has changed over the years, but when you go there today you can tell that there is room for more tracks than there are now.

-otto-
The large block stone wall on the left side is still bothering me I will have to look for it today.

by timz

Wondering about the negative-reversed possibility...

Did NYC mast signals always have the heads on one side of the mast or the other? Can anyone tell whether we're facing the mast signal or not? If we are facing it, and the pic isn't reversed, then it governs the track in the foreground; would such a track be likely to have a tall mast like that?

by oldmanbea

I want to thank all for their contributions. I think we can safely say it is NWP. I checked out some photos in that wonderful bible, The Coming Of The New York And Harlem Railroad by Louis Grogan, and they are quite helpful. Specifically the picture on page 82, bottom which shows the siding, the signal mast, and the power pole all where they should be. The track diagram on page 85 also supports what is seen in my photo. Also the top photo on page 83 show the "pocket-track" on the far right side of my photo. My apologies to anyone who does not have this book to refer to.

However, there is still a mystery, at least to a RR friend of mine. He, and now me, do not htink the bridge in the picture is 287, as from memory 287 would be too far away to be seen. His opinion is that it is a signal bridge. Anyone??

Glenn

by Mike Roque

oldmanbea wrote:However, there is still a mystery, at least to a RR friend of mine. He, and now me, do not htink the bridge in the picture is 287, as from memory 287 would be too far away to be seen. His opinion is that it is a signal bridge. Anyone??
I'm pretty sure that's 287. You can see the proximity on this map.
  by ChiefTroll

However, there is still a mystery, at least to a RR friend of mine. He, and now me, do not htink the bridge in the picture is 287, as from memory 287 would be too far away to be seen. His opinion is that it is a signal bridge. Anyone??
I think Michael is correct on I-287. The telephoto lens can do some strange things to perspective.
  by oldmanbea

ChiefTroll wrote:
I think Michael is correct on I-287. The telephoto lens can do some strange things to perspective.
Agreed, but there is another picture in that book taken in 1948 that also shows the bridge. I will have to get over there and take a few pics myself.

Glenn
  by Noel Weaver

I had trouble pulling the picture up but tonight it sure looks like an old
picture of North White Plains just east (timetable direction) of the station
near the old Holland Avenue platform.
Noel Weaver

by oldmanbea

Here is a picture taken today, so I guess it was 287 in that picture, or at least where 287 would be. Anyone know what was there earlier??