• HBLRT 9th St station (Hoboken) to be buried behind highrise

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by blasito

From the Hoboken Reporter-

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/site/news ... 3585&rfi=6
A group of residents is trying to stop a 113-unit, 14-story building, proposed for 800 Jackson St. in the Northwest Redevelopment Zone. The proposed multi-use building, which is slated to be built only a few paces from the soon-to-open Ninth Street Hudson Bergen Light Rail station, will include a restaurant and retail space. Metro Stop, a Hoboken-based development company, was designated the project's developer in a public session by the City Council in September.
The plans I saw for this building show a three story parking garage along the side facing the light rail station. This building will be almost three hundred feet wide, leaving the station at the bottom of a canyon between it and the Palisades.

by JPhurst

A couple of Saturdays ago, over the weekend, my wife an I took a walk along the path of the light rail from Hoboken to Weehawken. The West Side of Hoboken is a dive, and definitely needs something built there. The development should not isolate the light rail from the rest of Hoboken, but it is not a bad idea to have residential and retail right next to the station, as long as there are accessible paths from the other side.

Blasito, maybe you can open a "Paliside Cliffs Driving Range" when they are building it. That would be a somewhat informal, but effective, way of the Heights community policing its airspace!

by AndyB

Build it and they will come!

Give the developers 3 to 5 years and no one will recognize the west side.
Go over to Essex St. JC for the proof.

by AndyB

Forgive the next few sentences; I know they're not rail-related.
Went over to Weehawken today to see the Queen Mary. She is BIG! The largest ship ever built. I beleive it. The Intrepid looks small when compared.
Then drove around inspecting the work on the light rail. Looks like it can be open any day now. Anyone have a date?
I was amazed by all the new construction in the west section of Hoboken. They ARE coming and the prices the developers are getting are not cheap.

by JLo

The largest ship ever built.
Not true. She's the largest passenger ship ever built. There is a supertanker that is even larger.

by Jtgshu

I thought I remembered reading somehwere that Alstom built the QM2 - is that true or am I loosing it???

That thing passed under the Verrizanno with something like only 13 feet clearance!!!!

My Grandma's friends were on it a couple of weeks ago, adn they said it was absoultely fabulous!!!!!!!

(off topic, i know, sorry)

by transit383

Jtgshu wrote:I thought I remembered reading somehwere that Alstom built the QM2
Haha, that one is just too easy....

by transit383

I love the last line in that article:

"As this magnificent jewel in the Cunard crown plies the oceans of the world in the years ahead, it will continue to bear elegant witness to the outstanding quality of ALSTOM workmanship."

ALSTOM workmanship? Maybe it should have been named Titanic II.... :D

Amazing how this company can build a massive ship like that, yet can't get things straight on an 85 foot rail car.

by Jtgshu

(still off topic, I apologize)

The QM2 is an amazing ship though, i have seen pictures from it, and it is truely amazing.

Also, one particular thing that is close to my heart, is that there is a tremendous painting in one area of the ship, of the Queen Mary (1). In that painting, is my Grandfathers tugboat, as he, along with several of my uncles and cousins, worked for Moran Tugboats in NY harbor. (My family has always had a history on the water, my Dad and I are the only ones who didn't or don't work on the water) The painting actually has the name of the tug on it, but right now, it escpaes me.

My Grandma's friends who were on it, took a picture of the painting, and it is a terrific sight to see...... :)