• have not heard anything yet

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by curtin

I graduated from the NARS program on Feb 17th just wondering when i would here something about the interview with BNSF on FEB 8th through the program and when I would start to find something about all the applications i have filled out any information would be great not very confident Thanks.

by ATSF211

curtin,

I'm with you, I havent heard anything yet either. I was told I would hear back from them in 2 weeks and I know it hasnt really been 2 weeks but I just applied at Los Angeles and San Bernardino and they both said no. The email also said I should attend NARS. LoL.

I'm sitting here on pins and needles and feeling very discouraged right now.

BTW, who was your interviewer?

Mike

by bnsfjordan

Did your interviewers give you any sort of time frame for when you might hear back from them? They told me 4 weeks and that turned out to be very accurate. My conditional offer came 3 weeks after I graduated NARS (4 weeks after my interview).

by curtin

MY interview was with Shinita Hishaw and I don't think they gave us a time frame I have applied for jobs all over I live here in Kansas City area but would like to move I just want to get a job and start making some money Bnsfjordan makes me feel a little bit better so i will keep my fingers crossed thanks for the help and good luck to ya.

by JuKayes

curtin & ATSF211,

I also graduated Feb 17th, still playing the waiting game here too... I heard through the grapevine that the next class for Houston, which is where I am hoping to hire out doesn't start until May, so I may be waiting awhile it seems... But I interviewed with Dane and Scott and was lead to believe as I told ATSF211 that we would be hearing from them with 1-2 weeks after graduation to at least give us some preliminary idea of where we stood in terms of BNSF possibly hiring us... Hope it's soon, as it is now I am probably looking at having to take something temporary until I do hear from them...

Later,

-J

by gojoe19

Don't get hung up on where you hire out, from what I understand you are much more likely to get hired if you live in or near the city hiring. Get hired, do the 15-17 weeks, you'll have system wide seniority, then go where you want to work. Just make sure the station you hire out of doesn't have the 5 year recall deal, and you'll be golden. If you wait untill a far away station decides to hire you, everyone who got hired before you will have seniority over you. good luck.

by ATSF211

I have applied at several different places since I graduated including two that are very close to me (Los Angeles and San Bernardino) and it is becoming almost routine now to recieve a "unable to place you for this position, at this time" letter.

These were places that had come up after my interview. I did mention to my interviewer that I would like to work in L.A. or San Bernardino or Memphis. I guess I can take that for what it's worth.

I am extremely frustrated and even went as far as calling the guy I had my interview with and asking for an update and he still has yet to call me back.

I am slowly starting to think my RR career choice is starting to look bleak.
I know I should wait a little longer but I have bills to pay and I cannot continue to put this kinda pressure on my fiancee anymore.

Some good advice is needed, what do I do?

Mike

by Wannertant

I was in the same boat as you, be patient. It was a month after i left school that our class heard something. Then once you do hear something it will be weeks after that that you will actually start. My advice is to go and get a filler job to pay the bills till you hear something from the railroad. I left school on dec 23rd and still will not start for a little while.

by gojoe19

ATSF211- I just checked the BNSF job postings and LA and San Bernardino are still active postings. I have been told that they will not send conditional offers untill the posting closes. Unfortunatly, I didn't see a date listed of when that will be. I wouldn't swear to it, but I bet they'll pick everyone they want to hire this year break the list down into classes then send out offers. hopefully since you went to NARS you'll get in the next class. :-)

by gojoe19

Have you guys looked into UP? there is alot of CA train service positions there as well.

http://www.careerlink.org/0/0/5/7/interfac.htm

I think they start at a higher rate, I could be wrong. Bnsf starts you at 80% unless you can work as a foreman, RCO or conductor, but with no seniority it's hard to work these positions steadily.

by curtin

Yes i have applied for several jobs with U.P have not heard from them either when I check the status of my applications it says and has said for a while that they are still under review there is one on there from early October that says the same thing as one of them that i applied for just the other day this stuff is just really frustrating but I will do as told and just be PATIENT!!!!!! I f i do hear of anything i will let you guys know good luck to ya

by Pj

Expect 3-6 month or more with the UP system. It took about 6 months for mine to go thru for the interview. However, the day I left of Aruba, they changed my status and gave me a date...for the day before I got back into the states... That sucked.

by ATSF211

Hey everyone,

I just got my conditional offer for San Bernardino, Ca. My expected start date is March 20th!

Of course I still have to pass my physical and all that good stuff, but I'm very excited.

Thanks guys for all you encouragement and advice.

What does the physical and strength test consist of? Also what do they mostly check during your background check?

Mike

by curtin

congrats ATSAF did you attent the NARS program and how long after u applied did you here something Good Luck to ya

by ATSF211

curtin wrote:congrats ATSAF did you attent the NARS program and how long after u applied did you here something Good Luck to ya

I attended NARS and graduated Feb 17th. It was about 2 weeks and 4 days since I interviewed with Dane, and recieved my offer. I still have to pass my physical and strength tests plus my background check.

I have less than a month before my expected start date to do all these tests, I dont know how BNSF is going to do it but Im excited!!!!

Mike