• Hampton Falls, NH Eastern Route spur?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonny Bolt

I was checking out Google Earth, and for the first time I noticed what appeared to be siding in Hampton Falls, NH on the old Eastern Route. Looks as though there must have been a business of some sort down there....

Is that siding or is it just a trail? I never knew about any siding there, so it would be interesting to know. Always looking to learn more about this old route.....

by Rockingham Racer

Indeed, it does look like that. Technical question: wouldn't that be a spur? I think a siding connects on both sides of it to main track.

by Jonny Bolt

Ah yes, please excuse my technical wording lol. I type too fast for my own good.....fingers go faster than my brain can read.

Really interesting though. I asked some of the guys on my sportsmen forum....some of them been around awhile, might know something. I will report back if I get any answers.

by wolfmom69

Yes there is/was a siding there, as well as a B&M Freight House. Spur was used as a team track(by whi I don't know?).

Picture of a westbound RDC on 11/21/64 in R.W. Jones "B&M City & Shore", on pg.130, shows a boxcar spotted there.

Think you can access the location by taking Depot Rd. from Route 1 in Hampton Falls. Depot Rd. leaves Rt. 1 across from Rt. 88 intersection.
If I recall correctly, it becomes a dirt road as it nears the tracks???

Hope this helps.

Bud

by Jonny Bolt

Yup, I fish down there sometimes, at the Hampton Falls Depot. There has been alot of development at the end of Brimmer Ln. though. Houses right on the river that lines the Southern edge of the Hampton Marsh. Brimmer Ln is the street shown in the shot I posted above. Brimmer lane is the next street down South of Depot Rd.

Depot Rd., Eastern Route tracks...errr, lack thereof....

Sign of the times I suppose. Such a shame...

by wolfmom69

The original station has been moved closer to Route 1 on that road, and is now a private home. Owners do have a small sign to commemorate that it was the station.

Didn't make it all the way to the "roadbed", or marsh, when I explored it about 8-9 years ago. Was driving a friends' classic Austin Healy 3000, and she was worried that we would bottom out on the rough dirt road.

Don't think that the Hampton Falls freight shed is still standing though.

But, overall, today's "Hampron Branch" has a very high percent of its buildings still intact.

Bud

by truman

Quick show of hands please, How many explorers noticed the old Tell-tale in almost perfect condition 50 yards south of Brimmer lane?
I think those rails in the Depot road photo are the remains of another siding.
Lots of rural towns had general delivery sidings for outgoing agricultural shipments, produce and dairy products, and incoming farm machinery and fuel (coal) shipments. Not sure about the Brimmer lane siding though, try the local historical society.

by Jonny Bolt

I would like to add that somewhere along this line, in Seabrook I think, someone built a fence over the railbed. Now I have to go ahead and assume that whoever has done this has a real lot of nerve, considering its State DOT property. This line used to be more "friendly" to the explorer, etc. Over the years its just been forgotten about...and the overgrowth of nature has filled alot of the railbed in, making it impassible in some spots. When my 2 older brothers grew up, times were different and it was passable via snowbilke, dirtbike, quad, etc. Not the same now. I just find it somewhat aggravating that someone would have the nerve to build a fence across this route. My friend recently tried to pass through, for good ol times sake, but got the BIG NOPE when he happened upon this fence. He wouldnt have made it to where I was fishing in Hampton Falls anyway due to "natures wrath" lol, but the fence is still something that more than likely shouldnt be there, is most likely illegal.

by Ron Newman

How hard would it be to either cut or climb this fence?

by truman

I think Public Service of NH, the Public Utilities Commission, Florida Power and Light, and the Department of Homeland security would take issue with cutting this fence, as it runs around the perimeter of the nuke plant.

by Jonny Bolt

Nope, there's another one that was put up. I dont know who did it or who's it is, but nervy nonetheless.

by truman

Then by all means turn this information over to the state. Also, send a discreet note to the tax collector of the town that its in. If the owner of the fence is trying to claim the land covertly, they may think twice if their tax bill suddenly goes up.

by Jonny Bolt

DOH! That's a great idea! I will have my friend who saw it while riding his mountain bike do it lol. He lives in Seeeeabroooooook. It's a bit south of the nuke plant.

Some people have a lot of nerve!!!