• Guilford Northern Main

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by TPR37777

I had occasion to get stuck on Middlesex Street in Chelmsford last Sunday night at the crossing when much to my surprise the Bow coal train rumbled by (2 NS units and an unknown gray one). The speed as it moved onto the west wye was very slow and quite a few cars turned around to find alternate routes. Does anyone know if the train has to creep its way all the way up to Bow due to the condions of the track? Also is the mainline through Nashua a dead end up north?

by mick

The speed on most of the Northern Mainline is 40 MPH
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by NRGeep

"For at least the past ten years, every day, almost all of the Northern Maine between NC and Bow has been restricted to 10 MPH."
Any chance that at least part of the reason GRS has won these safety awards is a result of it's super low speed limits on many of its lines? And, in regards to the 'DownEaster' inspired upgrade of the Portland line: has there been any increase in GRS's business since the improved track has been put into place and I assume they have had higher speed limits on that line? :-)

by TPR37777

Speaking of the northern main, looks like an MBTA extension just might happen after all. This article is from the Lowell Sun newspaper today;

Chelmsford wants station if rail extended to Nashua

By PETER WARD, Sun Staff
CHELMSFORD While Nashua officials took a giant step closer to a railroad station for the proposed $70 million Lowell-to-Nashua rail line extension, Chelmsford officials were left wondering why it appears Massachusetts doesn't support a depot in the Bay State.
Town Manager Bernard Lynch has asked the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority why it omitted a hoped-for station in the agency's capital investment program for 2005-2010.

Lynch acknowledged that the fate of the proposed 20-mile extension was uncertain based on New Hampshire's past reluctance to contribute to the project.

"However, we feel it is important that the MBTA remain committed to such a station if the proposed service extension is implemented," Lynch wrote to Ike Papadopoulos, the MBTA's deputy director of the budget.

He noted that the MBTA in 2002 prepared a $35,000 feasibility study showing that a proposed station in North Chelmsford was justified and would serve an estimated 1,000 boardings daily.

But just because the agency didn't include the station in its long-term capital program doesn't mean it doesn't support the rail extension, said Lydia Rivera, a spokeswoman.

"We're waiting for New Hampshire to allocate funds," she said.

Toward that end, Nashua aldermen this week voted 14-1 to endorse a mechanism to pay for the commuter station within its boundary.

By allowing a special incremental tax district including the station and retail in a concentrated area, the special district could raise revenue and allow the city to float a bond for $14 million the amount New Hampshire needs to trigger release of $25 million to $56 million in federal funds earmarked for the project.

"They cleared a logjam by identifying a way to pay the matching funds, so now we can go to Department of Transportation and say, 'OK, the city will pay the matching,'" said Stephen Williams, executive director of the Nashua Regional Planning Commission.

Though the location hasn't been selected, city officials have focused on a site near Spit Brook Road.

Nashua's action marks a reversal.

In April, the New Hampshire Supreme Court dealt the project a blow, saying the state was barred from using a proposed increase in the gasoline tax to pay for the project. In 2002, the state's Executive Council voted against paying for an environmental study. Williams said some changes in personnel on the council could bode well for the project.

The line's extension would require adding a second track along part of the Merrimack River. It's seen as a way to alleviate traffic on local highways and reduce parking congestion at Lowell's Gallagher Terminal.

Former Chelmsford Selectman Thomas Moran, a key supporter, said the MBTA has been supportive and that's it's important for the town to keep it that way.

"I don't know. Maybe our inattention allowed the MBTA to walk away a little bit," Moran said.

Peter Ward's e-mail address is [email protected] .

by TPR37777

Oh and Mick thank you for your reply to my queries.

by Rockingham Racer

Anybody think there's a chance Tyngsboro will get a station?

by mick

Glad to be of help....
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by p&w3901

Just as a point of interest, I saw that power trio sitting on a siding in East Deerfield a few weeks back....that mystery gray engine has "NS" stenciled on the side of the cab.....
  by octr202

p&w3901 wrote:Just as a point of interest, I saw that power trio sitting on a siding in East Deerfield a few weeks back....that mystery gray engine has "NS" stenciled on the side of the cab.....
NS still likes to paint their own. They get delivered from the factory in primer, and, well, they don't always get sent straight to the paint shop.

by NellsChoo

People are always commenting on the condition of the track leading past the river on the way to Bow. I have yet to see a train there... :( I wonder, though, if another reason for the slowdown is the proximity to the river and traffic. Probably not...

JD

by camster202

Doubt it.

For the record, that gray NS Primer C40-9W went with B&M 340 down to Pennsylvania with the Bow empties.