• Guilford Color-Coding?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

A long-gone and non-T&E former Guilford employee who works with my wife and knows of my railroad affliction was simplifying his storage and gave her a black baseball cap and shoulder bag he had received but never used. Both items have the Big G and Guilford Rail System stitched on them. The Big G, however, is not white, but copperish. Does the color have significance, or is one of those "why ask why" questions?
  by KSmitty

Is the copperish Guilford Orange by any chance?

The sand towers at Waterville have orange G's on them too if I remember right.
  by jaymac

KSmitty-
The "copperish" is a bit too metallic to qualify for Guilford Orange, but is probably either a deliberate bit of bling or the vendor's idea of a good match.
Thanks for evidence that there is some precedent and that a non-white Big G wasn't totally random.
  by Mikejf

All those white Big G boxcars also had an orange G.
  by jaymac

Mikejf-
I double-checked NERAIL, and the white boxcar postings there had a black "G" with an orange underline. Mebbe there were other variants, but they didn't make it to NERAIL.
  by Mikejf

Well atleast there was orangecon the car somewhere ;-) Now I just need to remember where I saw that orange G. Crane or the wreck train?
  by KSmitty

The Waterville wrecking crane (3365) has standard white G with orange underline. However accompanying cars BM 309MWC and BM 3202 have orange G's. I got a shot of them, I think the one attached is in Passadumkeag or Olamon as they came home from the most recent oops up there in Enfield.
Orange G.JPG