• GRS/PAR Derailment - Buckland, MA 4/26

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Dick H

AP Story

Freight train derails in western Mass.

BUCKLAND, Mass. The clean-up is under way after a 13-car freight train derailment in Buckland.

It happened shortly after 5 a-m near Depot Road in the Franklin County town.

Three of the cars on the train were empty tankers that had previously been carrying hazardous materials. State police say no residue from the chemicals leaked or spilled from the cars and no injuries were reported.

The other ten cars that derailed were carrying scrap metal.

State police say the train and the tracks in the area are owned by Pan Am Railways of Deerfield. The company has sent a team to right the cars and put them back on the rails, a process that could take several days.

The cause of the mishap is under investigation
  by bmmrlbnsfengr

The pics posted on Nerail make me wonder that the cause is a classic stringline derailment!! If one is to look closely , the trucks are still on the rail near the 1st (west) derailed car and every other car is ripped off south
of the roadbed, the train was pulling hard west and had a failure of some sort . I would hope that the cause was structural failure in stead of hogger error!!
  by 130MM

bmmrlbnsfengr wrote:The pics posted on Nerail make me wonder that the cause is a classic stringline derailment!! If one is to look closely , the trucks are still on the rail near the 1st (west) derailed car and every other car is ripped off south
of the roadbed, the train was pulling hard west and had a failure of some sort . I would hope that the cause was structural failure in stead of hogger error!!
I don't think it was a "stringline" derailment as the cars are derailed to the outside of the curve. The following photo shows that condition (note the string of equipment in the background following the curve):

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... key=htandw

During a stringline derailment the cars are pulled to the inside of the curve. The name comes from the behavior of a piece of sting laid out in an arc. If you pull on both ends of the string it becomes a straight line to the inside of the original arc.

DAW

[/i]

by mick

I wonder what Bill Cosby had to say about it, I have heard he owns the farm where the derailment took place.

by p&w3901

I wonder what Bill Cosby had to say about it, I have heard he owns the farm where the derailment took place.
It would be interesting to hear what he does have to say, given that GRS/Pan Slam has left the cars sitting next to the tracks to open up the line.
Bill Cosby does own the farm where the derailment took place.

by calaisbranch

Cosby probably doesn't really give two hoots about it since he is rarely at that location. I do think a caretaker of his lives by the barn in the red house. From what I've heard and seldom seen in the past, Cosby usually goes to the other place he has near Bardwell's down in south Shelburne

by atholrail

EDRJ wrecked again today. 10-15 cars near The Hudson River bridge.