• Greenbush "Golden Spike Ceremony"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by paulrail

I just got this information on my Club's (SSMRC) e-mail list. All are welcome!

Paul

-----------
Dear fellow club members,

I just learned from Tom Carroll that there will be a Greenbush Line
Golden Spike ceremony next Tuesday, February 6th at 11:00 am at the
Braintree junction of the Greenbush Line with the Old Colony main line. :-)
The Governor and other dignitaries from the administration and the
MBTA will give speeches and drive the last 4 spikes to mark the final
connection of the lines. They will have two locomotives head-to-head
in a recreation of the 19th-century Golden Spike ceremony in Utah. The
rain date is Feb. 22nd at 11 am.

The public is invited to the ceremony (Tom: "the more, the merrier.").
The location is the site of the former Braintree depot at the junction.
Since there is no room to park there, the T has arranged the
following:

"Beginning at 10:30am bus shuttle service will be provided from the
former Quirk Building located at 37 Commercial Street in Braintree at
Weymouth Landing (parking located in read or building)." We all know
that this means the parking lot down behind the Quirk Building that
used to be a handy cut-through getting to Quincy Ave. from the east.

Tom has asked for a rough head count from us, and they will add shuttle
busses as necessary. If you can attend, PLEASE let me know by the end
of Friday so that I can forward a more or less reliable number to Tom
and assure you of a ride. Use my address: [email protected], but
I'll check this site just in case.

Later in the year, there will be a ceremony announced for the first run
on the Greenbush Line.

Come one, come all........... :-D

by Guilford Guy

Tom I'd love to come, I'll try to make it (fortunately a have day of school!)
  by The MECnanic

Where do they keep these aircraft stored? What if " G " were to mount oneof these jet engines to a worn out locomotive , say refit it inside where theold power plant was, what amount of force in pounds ,etc could be expected, i,m sure any trash on the right of way would be blown away, and well. just curious.
  by NHN503

The MECnanic wrote:Where do they keep these aircraft stored? What if " G " were to mount oneof these jet engines to a worn out locomotive , say refit it inside where theold power plant was, what amount of force in pounds ,etc could be expected, i,m sure any trash on the right of way would be blown away, and well. just curious.
And that has to do with this thread how?
  by The MECnanic

I don,t know, I was on another forum ,switched to this ,pushed the back -up button, I had my Police Scaner on , a serous car accident occured near my home, , somthing about a FIRE , , I have a 25 LB CO2 at the ready , and wass at the wreck scene 2 min. before the Fire Dept arrived, fluids leaking from under the hod , shorted wires , and a cold day , and to some it was fire, ,turned out to be flids on hot manifolds. I was only one with a CO2, and the ocupant was trapped. I am not going to llow any human being trapped in a car to be burned to death while other people stand and watch. Better safe than sory. When I returned , , unknown to me the forum did not go to where it needed to go, a place to write was visable and , mistakes happen. I don,t know your feelings about , seeing a wreck , hearing the trapped people screaming , and blood all ove them , as a minute to them seems like an eternity,, to bad so many folks today stand by and do nothing when these events occur. I,m sure this person was glad to hear a voice , a voice that assured him that help was coming, I have a full charge on a extinguisher and I,m going to stay here in case anything happens, till the rescue people get here. He said THANK YOU and kept talking tol him , he rlaxed and i am glad to have done more than stand around and watch . Sorry I offended you so much while I went out to be a good neighbor and assist the man traped in his auto, on the ready if it caught fire. Good deds never hurt anyone. Bye!!

by rr_explorer

WTF?

by The MECnanic

Wheere,s the Fire?

by NRGeep

OMG!

by BayColony1706

Before anyone gets to reply, OMG does not mean the fire was "On Mt. Greylock". seroiusly, this thread is getting a bit rediculous. Mr. Moderator, please lock this one up.

by rr_explorer

It is not the thread that needs to be locked up...

by BayColony1706

Agreed.. These overly-dramatic posts are really getting annoying. lets get back to talkin' trains, and knock off the hysterics. 'nuff said.