• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ceo

It's a handsome vehicle (sure is better looking than those Type 7 hideosities), but the headlights look like two Mickey Mouse heads. And now you can't unsee that either. :-)
  by bostontrainguy

Doesn't look at all like the original drawings they put out.
newgreenline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MBTA DMA

3910 has been accepted.
  by TurningOfTheWheel

I would anticipate we get something similar to those Type 9 concept drawings -- ie. standard, off-the-shelf LRVs -- when the Type 10s roll out. The Type 9s are basically a stopgap optimized Type 8.
  by diburning

Here's a video by Tim Murphy (an MBTA inspector) showing the underside of a Type 9 (camera is in the gauge). I find it interesting how they were able to fit a "real" truck under the center section unlike the spring loaded stub axles on a Type 8.

https://www.facebook.com/TiminMurphy/vi ... 415820991/

The video is public, you do not need a facebook account to view it.
  by Rbts Stn

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 pm Doesn't look at all like the original drawings they put out.

newgreenline.jpg
Just can't place that trackage . . .
  by bostontrainguy

That's on the new Memorial Drive transitway.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
  by MBTA DMA

3911 has been accepted.
  by Rbts Stn

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:58 am That's on the new Memorial Drive transitway.
Ahhh. Leave town for a week and miss out on all the great new trackage plans!
  by BandA

diburning wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:27 am Here's a video by Tim Murphy (an MBTA inspector) showing the underside of a Type 9 (camera is in the gauge). I find it interesting how they were able to fit a "real" truck under the center section unlike the spring loaded stub axles on a Type 8.

https://www.facebook.com/TiminMurphy/vi ... 415820991/

The video is public, you do not need a facebook account to view it.
It's more rumbly than I expected, and seeing exposed gears was a surprise.
  by typesix

Those "gears" could be disc brake rotors and the venting fins.
  by bostontrainguy

That's a lot faster speed than they used to allow for crossover procedures (maybe 10 mph limit). I guess they have greatly improved the trackage. Also note the "frogless switch" or "lift turnout" frog.
  by Type 7 3684

3913 has been accepted
  by Disney Guy

I could not see from the video but do Type 9s have real wheelsets (solid wheel-axle-wheel) in the center section? I take it that it would require smaller diameter wheels and/or a slope up in the interior floor going through the center section.

Not counting rotation in unison of opposite wheels, is there a mechanical difference between spring loaded single wheels under the center section and a truck side frame attached by springs but otherwise rigidly to the car underbody (the latter typical of an old fashioned single truck streetcar)?
  by diburning

I had assumed that they had full wheelsets (wheel-axle-wheel) under the center section, but after rewatching the video, I can tell that they are stub axles attached to a rigid low profile truck. I don't know how this compares to the setup on a Type 8 though, as I've never seen the underside of the center section of a Type 8.

I don't have an answer for your second question.