• Great Railfanning spot on CSX River Line soon!

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CPSK

Hi all;
If you're a CSX fan, and like to "chase" trains on the River Line between North Bergen and Selkirk NY, you will soon have another great spot to shoot (photos) from.
The Poughkeepsie bridge! I realize that this project has been going on for over 6mos now, but I didn't find anything in search of this forum.
The bridge is being transformed into the world's longest pedestrian walkway, and is scheduled to open in October this year.
From what I have seen in the photos, the railings are just going to be about neck high, no fencing, so photography should be fantastic.

Last time I was up that way was about 30 years ago when I rode MNCR (actually, it was still Conrail back then) to Poughkeepsie, and walked out on the Mid Hudson bridge.

It's about time that someone has done something with the Poughkeepsie bridge. I had a dream about the bridge last night, having no idea that the walkway was being constructed. When I woke up, I Googled Poughkeepsie Bridge, and came to the website for the project: Walkway over the Hudson: http://www.walkway.org/dynamic.php?id=construction

FW
  by photorailfan

:-D I'm happy to hear that. That would be something to experience being high up and viewing everything. Thanks for the info
  by Noel Weaver

I am happy to read of progress regarding the Poughkeepsie Bridge walkway project, I have crossed this bridge many times
on trains.
Regarding photography from the walkway, not too hot unless you want a bird's eye vew of trains on either side of the river.
This bridge is 212 feet above the water which means it is around 200 feet above the River Line and I think the present
photo locations of which there are many will do you better than the bridge.
I do encourage everybody who is not too far away to walk over this bridge when the work is finished and the walkway is
officially open to the public. The view both north and south from this bridge is nothing short of spetacular, believe me.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

I am surprised that there is actually no snow in this beautiful shot. I guess that will change later today or tomorrow. It sure
looks mighty cold for those working on top of that bridge though.
Noel Weaver
  by Steve F45

Once completed will the bridge be open year round? I can't see it beeing open with weather like we had today.

Also how high are you when standing over the riverline?
  by Noel Weaver

Steve F45 wrote:Once completed will the bridge be open year round? I can't see it beeing open with weather like we had today.

My guess would be around 200 feet, the River Line at that location is not very high above the water line of the river.
Noel Weaver
  by DutchRailnut

Steve F45 wrote:Once completed will the bridge be open year round? I can't see it beeing open with weather like we had today.

They will have a lot of weather restrictions, like wind, frost, snow, thunderstorms etc.
I have seen bridge get hit about 15 times in a 17 minute thunderstorm, belive me, you do not want to be up there when there is lightning.