• Great Batavia Train Show

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Old & Weary

Sunday, November 9th is the date of the next Great Batavia Tran Show on the lower level of Batavia Downs Gaming and Racing. Admission is still only $5.00 per person and $2.00 for ages 13-18. younger kids are free. Over 100 venders are signed up to attend offering all scales of model railroading, railroadania, books, clothing, videos and toys. Hours are 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM with plenty of free parking. There will also be operating layouts and a snack bar with seating. Don't miss one of the biggest and best train shows in New York State.
  by dummy

where is batavia downs ? is that near the thruway and rt 98?
  by lvrr325

About 3/4 of a mile from the Thruway exit, if that. You go straight across at the light and take the first left and if you manage to miss it after that, I can't help you.

I don't know that I'd call it the biggest, the CNY NRHS show has room for about 6 Batavia Downs, but it is one of the best year after year, I find stuff there I see nowhere else.
  by Mike Pyszczek

It's called the biggest based on the number of vendor tables actually offering railroad related mechandise. Others have more space for sure. Quality, not quantity.
  by Otto Vondrak

Otto Vondrak wrote:Um. It's in Batavia.
^^^
WINNER: 2008-2009 Most Obnoxious Response by an Administrator
  by keeper1616

Otto Vondrak wrote:
^^^
While I agree, I'm not sure if you get to vote on your own comment like that.
  by sd80mac

Otto Vondrak wrote:
^^^

I see that these college kids at one of the corner at RIT rink (ritter rink I think) trained you very well... I believe that they are called Obnoxious ____ group.. I cant remember the name of the club

:P :wink:
  by Otto Vondrak

sd80mac wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
^^^

I see that these college kids at one of the corner at RIT rink (ritter rink I think) trained you very well... I believe that they are called Obnoxious ____ group.. I cant remember the name of the club

:P :wink:
You betcha! I'm "loud and proud" member of the Corner Crew!

http://ritmrc.org/photos/v/members/ritm ... y.jpg.html
  by lvrr325

Mike Pyszczek wrote:It's called the biggest based on the number of vendor tables actually offering railroad related mechandise. Others have more space for sure. Quality, not quantity.
Again, you could fit about six of Batavia into the CNY NRHS show and 90%+ of their tables offered train stuff of some sort. Most of the others were the various food vendors.

The spring show is coming up this weekend, but there's a seperate thread about it. Not sure why this one got bumped up too.
  by Old & Weary

Not sure what you mean by 10%. The only food vendor at the Batavia Show is the "Cookie Lady" who has been something of an institution since she showed up years ago when the show was still in Alexander. If you mean the CNY Show and it is six times the size of Batavia, then are you talking about 120 tables of food vendors.
  by SimTrains

It's all the same vendors at all of these shows if you ask me...
  by Railroaded

SimTrains wrote:It's all the same vendors at all of these shows if you ask me...

We can finally agree on something. You're durn tootin' they are, and they drag boxes loaded with the same old crap to every show within a 50 mile radius every year and they still don't lower the price on anything. Some times, I can ID a vendor before I even look at him, just by scanning the table and seeing the same junk that I've seen at 10 other train shows around town. That's when I don't even bother to say hi, or make eye contact, because he's already wasting my time, for the 10th time in a row. -B in B
  by lvrr325

Old & Weary wrote:Not sure what you mean by 10%. The only food vendor at the Batavia Show is the "Cookie Lady" who has been something of an institution since she showed up years ago when the show was still in Alexander. If you mean the CNY Show and it is six times the size of Batavia, then are you talking about 120 tables of food vendors.
What I said is that the CNY Chapter show is easily six times the size of Batavia and that of the vendors tables at the CNY Chapter show 90% or more are train show vendors. I never said 10% of them were food vendors, only non-train vendors, but that most of the non-train vendors I remember were the various food vendors in both buildings. I've no idea if the table count is six times as many, but you could fit about four of that room at Batava Downs into the Center of Progress building alone. And two or three more into the Toyota Building. A previous poster to you seemed to imply there were fewer tables of train-related merchandise at that show, and that is simply not the case.

Railroaded wrote:
SimTrains wrote:It's all the same vendors at all of these shows if you ask me...

We can finally agree on something. You're durn tootin' they are, and they drag boxes loaded with the same old crap to every show within a 50 mile radius every year and they still don't lower the price on anything. Some times, I can ID a vendor before I even look at him, just by scanning the table and seeing the same junk that I've seen at 10 other train shows around town. That's when I don't even bother to say hi, or make eye contact, because he's already wasting my time, for the 10th time in a row. -B in B
Sure it's some of the same vendors. What are they going to do, have a garage sale in the winter? Not all of them have a hobby shop to sell from, not with all the hoops you have to hop through in New York to have any kind of serious small business.

But you're only hurting yourself by passing people up, because I recognize all the same vendors and I take the time to look to find that almost all of them have different things to put out at every show, because all of them sell things and go out and buy more things between shows. Which is how I find lots of good deals on things, by looking through the stuff that other people are too lazy or can't be bothered to look at. It does amaze me though, to sit there at a show and see how many people are too lazy to even move one level of stacked flats of used stuff to look at one underneath. There could be a brass engine marked $25 in there and these turkeys would never see it. (okay, probably not, but I have bought brass engines at shows for rediculous low prices like that, I got four of them at one of the last GATS shows that came through here, and I got another one for $25 at a show last year that I turned around for $525 on eBay.. so it CAN happen).

Now at Batavia, well after Noon, I picked up an early Athearn train set box with all the inserts, 4 of the 5 cars including a super-scarce caboose, for a real reasonable price. I already had the right engine and the other car to go in it. The Greenberg guide claims they didn't actually produce this set, but I need to check the other Athearn book for more information on it. I about fell over because it was still there after all the collectors and guys who should know what that is had walked by it for like 4 hours.