Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by njtmnrrbuff

I really enjoyed the event today. The cars and locomotives were great. It was nice seeing them bring in the FL9. Unfortunately, there was a very long line for those wanting to walk in the Hickory Creek. It could have been avoided, especially making frequent announcements about it. It would have also been nice for the merchants at the tables to be there until 5, especially for those finished walking around and exploring the trains.
  by alewifebp

I couldn't believe how crowded it was. Had I known, I would have been there a lot earlier. I was very impressed with the crowd control. It certainly was deceiving though with the snaking lines. As soon as you thought you were getting close, you moved to another line. Since I had to get somewhere at a certain time, I had to leave after I hit the Babbling Brook. A great selection. I also loved the vintage subway cars on the S.
  by MattW

Ok, someone in the topic earlier says "no bags" yet, the site still just says "no backpacks." Can someone who was there comment on what they're enforcing? I have about a 12" x 8" x 6" over-the-shoulder (not backpack-stlye) camera bag that I fully intend on bringing, and my mom her purse. Should I expect a hassle?
  by Silverliner II

hi55us wrote:The equipment was top notch, once in a lifetime display with about 20 cars on display. Everything under the sun was there, from sleepers, to a railway post office car!

Few frustrations with the the event. I was there for 2:00 and waited in line for an hour. I didn't get to see the equipment until 3. Then at 3:45 they had everyone exit the displays (despite the event ending at 4). It seemed the security guards they hired where in a rush to get home. It's a shame they didn't just stop letting people in line at 4, I didn't even get to see every car! (I missed 1/2 of the last string of cars).

This event was pure PR Gold, makes people more appreciative of our nations transportation system and renews interest in our nations railroads. Hopefully they'll have another display next year and I'll plan on getting there first thing in the morning.
I didn't get to see anything. They closed down the lines and stopped admitting any more people to the displays at around 2:15pm, just as I was arriving. LOTS of unhappy people out there, myself included; I overheard a few MTA police officers and Metro-North customer service personnel getting chewed out by a few angry folks. If an event is to run to 4pm I at least expect the line to remain open until 4pm. I think they got caught by surprise with the crowds this year; one friend got there at 11am and had a 2-hour wait to get into the equipment displays. I was expecting at least an hour wait myself, but to get completely shut out an hour and a half before closing is something I find unacceptable.
  by Silverliner II

P.S. to my rant.
I was one of those venting to a customer service rep, and I told him that if the crowds are that big tomorrow, are they going to close down the lines early again??? Next year, they also should think about making the event 10am to 6pm both days.....
  by SouthernRailway

MattW wrote:Ok, someone in the topic earlier says "no bags" yet, the site still just says "no backpacks." Can someone who was there comment on what they're enforcing? I have about a 12" x 8" x 6" over-the-shoulder (not backpack-stlye) camera bag that I fully intend on bringing, and my mom her purse. Should I expect a hassle?
FWIW, I had a large shopping bag from Lord & Taylor nearby, full of stuff that I had just bought. No problems at all; I just had to show it to an inspector.
  by Terrapin Station

They were apparently allowing backpacks today. Security was checking bags in the 47th Street cross passage. I got there around 9:20am and they opened up the cars early. We got onto the platform by about 9:40am. Took about two hours to go through all the cars.
  by num1hendrickfan

Overall I have to say line management was a little bit better than last year to get into the exhibits ( they had two sets of air-conditioned M-8s on Tracks 40-41, replacing last years long snaking lines), and the bag checks were smooth as well. Unfortunately the wait to get into the cars was rather long by 1:00-2:00 pm, which is fine as there was plenty to see both on the platforms and in Vanderbilt hall. Could the hours of the event been extended to 6:00 pm on one or both days absolutely ( and they probably should have ), however that probably wouldn't be feasible when you have to free up that track space in time for post game-day transportation and Monday's rush hour. Hopefully there's another event next year and perhaps as a suggestion the children's area in Vanderbilt hall could be done away with in favor of more merchandise booths and model railroad layouts.
  by SouthernRailway

Maybe next year Metro-North could distribute numbered tickets to people when they arrive, and the tickets would be valid at certain times, or Metro-North could give people estimates as to when tickets with the customers' specific numbers would probably be able to enter the exhibits. Then people could hang out in Vanderbilt Hall or the like for a while and see the exhibits there instead of waiting in line.

The Danbury Railroad Museum could get a lot more publicity, too. Maybe it could offer excursion train rides between GCT and Yankee Stadium or the like, using some vintage equipment.
  by DutchRailnut

Danbury Railway museum has no equipment that is FRA certified, so it can not be run in revenue service or in lead.
As for How MNCR should do things, keep in mind that almost everyone involved are volunteers and un-compensated.
Its nice to sound off Idea's, but even as Volunteer you can only take so much.
  by SouthernRailway

DutchRailnut wrote:Danbury Railway museum has no equipment that is FRA certified, so it can not be run in revenue service or in lead.
As for How MNCR should do things, keep in mind that almost everyone involved are volunteers and un-compensated.
Its nice to sound off Idea's, but even as Volunteer you can only take so much.
The FRA seems to stop everything good!

It would not take extra manpower or time to handle tickets in the way I propose; it would make it easier on volunteers who have to man lines. I didn't realize that MN staff at the Parade of Trains is all volunteer, though. They did an excellent job.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The line for the Parade of Trains displays was exceeding three hours by Saturday midday, so MTA police "temporarily" closed off the line. SInce many of the cars were here last year, I passed. The other big highlight for Centennial Weekend were the IRT "SMEE" historic cars operating 42 Street Shuttle service.

R33 World's Fair Single Unit 9306 on the west end, a 1964 model "Blue Arrow" IRT R33 single unit delivered September 1963 for Flushing Line World's Fair service.
At Times Square
Departing Times Square
9306's cab
R12 5760, built by ACF 1948 on the east end
R15 6239, built by ACF 1950 in the middle of the 3-car shuttle

And some videos:
Arriving Times Square
Times Square-Grand Central from rear window in 9306
Walkthrough/tour of 9306
Grand Central to Times Square
Times Square to Grand Central in 5760
Arrving at Grand Central
  by Terrapin Station

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The line for the Parade of Trains displays was exceeding three hours by Saturday midday, so MTA police "temporarily" closed off the line. SInce many of the cars were here last year, I passed.
You should have gotten there earlier then. Everyone was predicting big crowds.
  by runningwithscalpels

I got there at 9:50 - pretty much walked right in. Waited maybe 20 minutes to get into the Hickory Creek, every other wait was less than that. It probably took about 2 hours to get through everything though.

After hearing the horror stories from Saturday I was a little put off, but it ended up turning out fine.

The 42nd St shuttle with the NY Transit Museum cars was also a nice touch :)