• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MaineCoonCat

BandA wrote:Town should get an injunction preventing them from bringing in those lead-paint covered tanks. Worked for Kingston NY against the CMRR.
From what I understand, not for long. The old "dump truck on the tracks" trick didn't go over well either..

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... viewmode=2

http://ulstercommonsense.blogspot.com/2 ... -drug.html
  by daylight4449

papabarn wrote:
BandA wrote:Town should get an injunction preventing them from bringing in those lead-paint covered tanks. Worked for Kingston NY against the CMRR.
From what I understand, not for long. The old "dump truck on the tracks" trick didn't go over well either..

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... viewmode=2

http://ulstercommonsense.blogspot.com/2 ... -drug.html
Like I said earlier, I'm still waiting to see them try it... Then I'll be there laughing when their truck gets hauled off to the impound!
  by MaineCoonCat

Whew! Made it!

[quote="On Wednesday, June 17th, 2015 In an article entitled "After mishaps, Grafton & Upton Railroad cars finally arrive at destination", Bonnie Adams, Managing Editor of the Community Advocate"]

After mishaps, Grafton & Upton Railroad cars finally arrive at destination

Grafton – It has been a stressful few days for employees of Grafton & Upton Railroad as well as several local towns as the railroad has attempted to transfer two 120-foot-long propane tracks from Taunton to a propane storage and transloading facility on Westboro Road in North Grafton.

First, the cars, which were transporting 120-foot long propane tanks, were unable to navigate a tight, congested corner in Milford.

According to Doug Pizzi, a representative for Jon Delli Priscoli, the owner of the railroad, there was a “miscommunication between the shipping company and the state Department of Transportation, which together planned and approved the route.”

After that situation was remedied, the next step was transporting the tanks to the North Grafton facility. But as they were approaching Grafton Common Tuesday evening , the two cars ending up derailing.

“Because the 120-foot long tanks represent over-gauge cargo for the railroad, in that they are longer than normal freight cars, which are 86 feet long, the cargo caused the wheelset to lose connection with the track,” Pizzi said.

It took crews, using planks of wood, approximately two hour to reset the cars.

Once back on the road, the tanks then ran into another snafu as they neared the nearby Washington Mills complex.

“One of the tanks would have come into contact with a small shed that slightly encroaches on the railroad right of way,” Pizzi said.

The railroad brought in a crane to the site Wednesday morning, Pizzi said, to adjust the tank on the flat bed so it would be able to clear the building. The two cars were then finally successfully

transported to the Westboro Road facility without further mishap.[/quote]

Read more at Community Advocate's web site

Thanks to the Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page for the update.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
The derailment is not a big deal, but yet people will make a issue out of nothing . Pat.
  by BandA

So the derailment was not a track defect? Did the load shift? Did the rail cant? Was it on a curve?
  by CRail

According to the media reports (to which I normally give little clout although this explanation seems legit and it comes from the railroad itself), it was the length of the manifest in conjunction with a unique track characteristic that caused it. Luckily the opponents have already been bureaucratically bulldozed so their senseless shrills of "a message from God" will serve no greater cause than a waste of their breath.
  by highgreen215

Tonight (Sunday 6/21) about 8:30 PM I caught a train of two small covered hoppers behind CSX power heading west past Forge Park station in Franklin. A few minutes later I heard the train passing under Rte 126 in Bellingham center. Has the connection with the G & U been completed at Milford? Who would be the customers that would receive these hoppers beyond Franklin?
  by dbperry

Garelick Farms is right next to Forge Park. If the train did go past Bellingham, the only legitimate customer I can see is Verallia North America (glass plant) at 1 National Street in Milford. Google Maps satellite view dated 2015 looks like there are a couple hopper cars there.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

dbperry wrote:Garelick Farms is right next to Forge Park. If the train did go past Bellingham, the only legitimate customer I can see is Verallia North America (glass plant) at 1 National Street in Milford. Google Maps satellite view dated 2015 looks like there are a couple hopper cars there.
Does Barney Oil on Depot St. right before Milford Yard still get deliveries? They've got a well-manicured siding connected to the runaround track, but they'd be teeny-tiny and very intermittent if they got deliveries at all. Veralia's definitely still a regular.

CSX always runs around at Milford whether they actually serve that far on a given day. Opposite ends of the branch @ Milford and @ Franklin Jct./Franklin Industrial are the only places to turn around, so the full distance gets covered no matter what.
  by jaymac

A ~1200/06-22-2015 drive-by showed the LP tanks in place. North Grafton was, too.
  by Sir Ray

jaymac wrote:A ~1200/06-22-2015 drive-by showed the LP tanks in place. North Grafton was, too.
North Grafton was in place? :P

Anyway, aren't there two more propane tanks left to deliver - any known schedule?