• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GE45tonner

On google maps there is a disconnected section of good track between S Main St and Vernon st. It curves north east and looks like it used to connect to the CSX line (do they run that far anymore?) and northwest towards where the GU is expanded south. Anyone know why this perfectly good track was built when it currently has no real connection?
  by MaineCoonCat

GE45tonner wrote:On google maps there is a disconnected section of good track between S Main St and Vernon st. It curves north east and looks like it used to connect to the CSX line (do they run that far anymore?) and northwest towards where the GU is expanded south. Anyone know why this perfectly good track was built when it currently has no real connection?
I think that is part of the restoration and reconnection as it appears it is following the extant alignment. In other words, it should soon have a "real connection". Unfortunately for the G&U it would seem that a south southeasterly connection to the CSX (now MassDOT?) trackage would be difficult at best.
Milford, MA - Google earth.jpg
  by GE45tonner

Thanks, I figured that was it. Weird that they built that before everything else.
  by johnpbarlow

As of a visit I made to G&U from N Grafton to Milford three weeks ago, I saw that mainline quality track exists a quarter mile or so from the Hopedale warehouse south across rte 16 where it abruptly stops. The Right of Way had not yet been cleared south of rte 16. Google Maps does show that not only are crossings re-installed at rte 140 and Main St but track has also been installed from 140 up to Vernon St near the cemetery. But east of there to the CSX track is nothingness although I did see piles of old rail and scrap ties lying near where the rebuilt connection would go. Track machines were parked at Upton facility (which is now completely fenced off with gates that can close across the track).
  by MaineCoonCat

GE45tonner wrote:Thanks, I figured that was it. Weird that they built that before everything else.
Yeah, seems that way to me too.. I'm sure there's a good reason but I tend to think of the "start at one end point and build to the other" method. Then again I know absolute zip about the realities of laying track (or lots of other things).. :-)
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

papabarn wrote:
GE45tonner wrote:Thanks, I figured that was it. Weird that they built that before everything else.
Yeah, seems that way to me too.. I'm sure there's a good reason but I tend to think of the "start at one end point and build to the other" method. Then again I know absolute zip about the realities of laying track (or lots of other things).. :-)
Could have something to do with that entire block being bounded by a large parking lot: http://goo.gl/maps/TWpgZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Looks like that was easy as pie to get the heavy equipment in relative to the adjoining blocks.
  by tonyschul

I think that was govt funding available to return these crossings to operation, especially Rte. 16.

I also think that Jon's construction company did the work. If they were not all funded by the state, why not do them all at one time since the equipment and manpower was available.
  by CRail

Get the expensive stuff out of the way with available funds, then do the cheap and easy suff as time and money allows. Makes perfect sense to me!
  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 0600 on 29 July 2014 In an article entitled "Grafton & Upton Railroad to host 'Polar Express", Mike Gleason of the Milford Daily News staff"]

HOPEDALE - The magical train "Polar Express" will be making an appearance this holiday season on the the tracks of the Grafton & Upton Railroad.

The railroad announced this week that it would have the train, based on the children's book and subsequent movie, for the first time this winter. Passengers on the ride will hear the story performed by actors and receive hot cocoa and cookies.

Railroad spokesman Doug Pizzi said this is likely the first time there will be passenger traffic on those rails since the 1930s.

"We've done a Santa train, with lights and Santa Claus, before, but this is an actual ride," he said. "(The Polar Express) doesn't just sit still at the station."

"We're primarily a freight line, so we don't have a lot of opportunity for passenger traffic," he added. "The Hopedale yard (on Mendon Street) is pretty large - so it will have plenty of opportunities for parking."

The ride itself takes an hour - a round trip north to Upton and back.[/quote]
Read more at: http://www.milforddailynews.com/article ... /140726801

I'll bet the merchants of Grafton aren't pleased about missing out on added revenue..

Now to get a Mass Bay RRE excursion on the line..
  by daylight4449

papabarn wrote:[quote="At 0600 on 29 July 2014 In an article entitled "Grafton & Upton Railroad to host 'Polar Express", Mike Gleason of the Milford Daily News staff"]

HOPEDALE - The magical train "Polar Express" will be making an appearance this holiday season on the the tracks of the Grafton & Upton Railroad.

The railroad announced this week that it would have the train, based on the children's book and subsequent movie, for the first time this winter. Passengers on the ride will hear the story performed by actors and receive hot cocoa and cookies.

Railroad spokesman Doug Pizzi said this is likely the first time there will be passenger traffic on those rails since the 1930s.

"We've done a Santa train, with lights and Santa Claus, before, but this is an actual ride," he said. "(The Polar Express) doesn't just sit still at the station."

"We're primarily a freight line, so we don't have a lot of opportunity for passenger traffic," he added. "The Hopedale yard (on Mendon Street) is pretty large - so it will have plenty of opportunities for parking."

The ride itself takes an hour - a round trip north to Upton and back.
Read more at: http://www.milforddailynews.com/article ... /140726801

I'll bet the merchants of Grafton aren't pleased about missing out on added revenue..

Now to get a Mass Bay RRE excursion on the line..[/quote]

I hope people in Grafton are pissed. This is what happens when you elect an arrogant egotist to public office in a small town setting...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Have they raised the Hopedale St. bridge yet? I thought increasing the underclearance on that street was part of the restoration project.
  by tonyschul

No, they have not.

Why would this be a contingency to opening service on this part of the line? G & U is not obligated to fix things that have been in place for years. I would think that the City of Milford would have to fund that.
  by Cosmo

tonyschul wrote:No, they have not.

Why would this be a contingency to opening service on this part of the line? G & U is not obligated to fix things that have been in place for years. I would think that the City of Milford would have to fund that.
It's not that they (G&U) are "obligated," it's that FWIU, that was part of their plan all along. It would make more sense to raise the bridge first, then replace the tracks over it.
Now, if the town is obligated to fund the project in some way, that could be "what's the holdup."
  by MaineCoonCat

Cosmo wrote:
tonyschul wrote:No, they have not.

It's not that they (G&U) are "obligated," it's that FWIU, that was part of their plan all along. It would make more sense to raise the bridge first, then replace the tracks over it.
Now, if the town is obligated to fund the project in some way, that could be "what's the holdup."
Just in the interest of clarity, isn't the bridge in Hopedale not Milford (and therefore a Hopedale funding issue)?
  by Cosmo

I would have to look at the map. I seem to recall it being on the Milford side of the Hopedale/Milford line.