• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MaineCoonCat

Sure is awfully quiet on the Grafton propane facility case..
  by Cosmo

Very nice pics. It's AMAZING to see brand new, well laid track going in there.
  by Friend of G & U RR

Webster boy is given special train ride
RAILROAD ON BOARD FOR CANCER PATIENT

By Scott J. Croteau, TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

GRAFTON — Brady Smith is used to playing with toy trains that can fit into his pocket. The 244,000-pound Grafton & Upton Railroad locomotive was a little more than he is used to handling.

The early birthday present for Brady, who turns 4 Monday, came after two friends were talking and found that the Webster boy, who is battling a virulent form of cancer called neuroblastoma, loves trains.

Word reached Kevin Gallagher, an engineer for G&U Railroad, and Sunday's short ride in Grafton was set in motion.

"This is his day. He's telling us what he wants," Mr. Gallagher said Sunday before the ride. "I think we should show him how to run it."

An imposing man with a long goatee and tattoos, Mr. Gallagher cracked a smile, imagining the boy's reaction.

"Hopefully he's not afraid of me or the train," he said while waiting on Westboro Road.

When Brady showed up wearing a train shirt with the number 4 in the middle, all his attention was on the train. He begged his mother, April Smith, to let him get on the steps.

Before he could get on, the little boy was greeted by G&U Railroad owner and CEO Jon Delli Priscoli.

"As a railroad owner, and more importantly as a father myself, I thought this would be a great thing to do for Brady and his family," Mr. Delli Priscoli said. "I hope in some small way this makes Brady happy because that's what this is all about."

Mr. Delli Priscoli handed the little boy a bag of gifts that included an engineer's hat, a train whistle, toy train and other goodies. Mr. Gallagher's family had shirts and other items for Brady.

"I was worried he was going to be shy about it," Mrs. Smith said. "I showed him pictures, pictures of the train and of Kevin and he just wanted to go."

As the train rolled along the tracks, Brady quickly pointed out the different types of railcars to Mr. Gallagher. His love and knowledge of trains was evident.

"It was a tremendous experience," his father Tim Smith said. "What 4-year-old gets to ride in the front of a freight train? He's fascinated with trains. I am grateful to everybody. We just can't say enough about it."

In his father's arms, Brady looked out of the windows as the train rumbled along the track.

The little boy will sit at the CSX yard in Worcester and watch trains. He goes on YouTube to watch train videos as well. After the trip in Grafton, Brady pleaded to go see more trains.

In May and June of 2012, Brady wasn't feeling well. He complained of stomach pain. After several tests the family learned he had stage 4 neuroblastoma; a cancer that arises in immature nerve cells of the adrenal gland, neck, chest or spinal cord. Brady had a tumor on his adrenal gland, which has since been removed.

Brady receives treatment at Boston Children's Hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. He just finished up radiation and will begin antibody therapy in June.

On Thursday, Brady was 58 days post-stem-cell transplant and had completed 12 sessions of radiation therapy. His most recent bone marrow biopsy came back negative for neuroblastoma.

"He's done remarkably well. He is exceeding any and all expectations," his father said. "He is just really fighting an amazing fight."

For more on Brady: go to www.bradysmission.com.
  by MaineCoonCat

Friend of G & U RR wrote:http://greatergrafton.com/2013/05/20/gr ... ate-court/
Always wondered why this didn't go to the STB to begin with...

Copy of the order below..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MaineCoonCat on Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by MaineCoonCat

Okay sports fans, the long awaited date has arrived!

General Filing Type: Reply Filed On: 05/20/2013 Filed For: Diana Del Grosso, Ray Smith, Joseph Hatch, Cheryl Hatch, Katheleen Kelley, Andrew Wilklund, And Richard Kosiba-

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/ ... 234268.pdf OR download a copy attached below..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MaineCoonCat

And now, the second installment..

General Filing Type: Reply Filed On: 05/20/2013 Filed For: Diana Del Grosso, Ray Smith, Joseph Hatch, Cheryl Hatch, Katheleen Kelley, Andrew Wilklund, And Richard Kosiba-

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/ ... 234270.pdf.. !!Sorry!! Size of PDF File: 3.97 MB.. So I cannot upload a "convenience copy"..

Personal First Glance Opinion Follows: FWIW, I've skimmed the first 9 pages and I'm beginning to think this might be a long reach on the part of the petitioners.. End Opinion. Your mileage may (and probably will) vary..
  by daylight4449

I could recommend these lunatics to some of my contacts at UMASS' mental health division... Really, denying they said the railyard could pollute the water supply? I'm almost certain that they did indeed state that in one of their earlier letters...
  by Cosmo

daylight4449 wrote:I could recommend these lunatics to some of my contacts at UMASS' mental health division... Really, denying they said the railyard could pollute the water supply? I'm almost certain that they did indeed state that in one of their earlier letters...
IIRC, it was "loosely suggested" as they stated the property abutted local water supply.
  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 3:08 pm on May 21, 2013 In an article entitled "Rail Work to Require Depot Street Detour Wednesday and Thursday", Mary MacDonald of the MilfordPatch staff"]
Work to build a railroad crossing over Depot Street will require a two-day detour.

Railroad track will be laid over Depot Street on Wednesday and Thursday, requiring a temporary street closure near the Royal Buddha Restaurant.

Traffic will be detoured up South Main Street and Fruit Street in either direction, according to an email from Milford Deputy Police Chief James Heron.

The work on Depot Street will begin at 7 a.m. Wednesday, and continue at least until 5 p.m., then pick up for the same hours on Thursday.

Police officers will be on hand to expedite the traffic flow on South Main and Fruit streets.

The work is being conducted by the Grafton and Upton Railroad, which is re-establishing a line through Milford to connect to its Hopedale rail yard.

The next leg in the rail work is the crossing over South Main Street, near PiNZ. That is tenatively scheduled for Wednesday, May 29.[/quote]

Read more at the MilfordPatch's web site
  by MaineCoonCat

Saw this posted on Facebook by Friends of the Grafton & Upton Railroad. What this means to the propane transload case remains to be seen..

[quote="On May 22, 2013 In an article entitled "A Changing Of The Guard For The Selectmen", Richard Price of the Grafton Villager staff"]
A CHANGING OF THE GUARD FOR THE SELECTMEN

GRAFTON, Mass.– It was a Selectman meeting to get acquainted and re-acquainted.

It was a short meeting held on a rare Wednesday evening to discuss reorganization of the board. John Dowling was appointed as the new chairman, Brook Padgett vice-chairman, and John Carlson as clerk.

Less than 24-hours after Craig Dauphinais and Dennis Flynn won the Selectmen race, Flynn attended his first meeting in the Municipal Center. Dauphinais, after a hiatus, returned to add to his six years’ experience.

Dowling then officially welcomed the two new members. “There is no formal training,” Dowling said to Flynn and Dauphinais. “We drop you in the water and see if you can swim.”[/quote]

Read more at the Grafton Villager's web site
  by MaineCoonCat

Seen posted on Facebook by Friends of the Grafton & Upton Railroad:

[quote="On May 30, 2013 In an article entitled "June 10 Date Set Between Town And Grafton & Upton Railroad", Richard Price of the The Grafton Villager staff"]

June 10 Date Set Between Town And Grafton & Upton Railroad

GRAFTON, Mass.—A Worcester Superior Court judge issued a temporary restraining order against the Grafton & Upton Railroad on Thursday and set a June 10 hearing date between them and the Town of Grafton over the future of a propane transfer station.

The announcement came today via a press release from the Town. The case between both parties has swung from federal court back to the state court in a May 17 court decision issued by Federal Judge Timothy Hillman.

The press release also said the Town filed a referral to the Federal Surface Transportation Board, which has broad economic regulatory oversight of railroads.

“Today’s order officially recognizes that the case has been sent back to Superior Court and maintains the status quo until both sides can appear in court,” said Doug Pizzi, spokesperson for the railroad.[/quote]

Read more at The Grafton Villager's web site.
  by MaineCoonCat

From my above post;
The press release also said the Town filed a referral to the Federal Surface Transportation Board, which has broad economic regulatory oversight of railroads.
So far, I've yet to locate a copy of this document. I'll keep looking though and will post an update if/when I can find it (unless someone else finds it beforehand..).