• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bshrdr

Had a chance to get up to North Grafton last month. Head here to check out the photos:

http://bit.ly/gkxICw

And I did a little side-by-side comparison of the 1751's nose, before and after the zebra stripes were painted. Check it out here:

http://bit.ly/hO85jc

Thanks for looking & enjoy!
Tom
  by daylight4449

So, two questions:
1) does the alco S4 still run on G&U
and 2) didn't G&U pick up a passenger car about two years ago?
  by B&M 1227

The S4 was scrapped months ago. They own an open end observation car which last I checked was still awaiting paint.
  by b&m 1566

He's turning the open end observation car into his office on wheels, correct?
  by g-u-rr

I have been trying to compile a list of articles written about the G&U over the years. There is MUCH very useful and valuable information and photography available through various websites but I've come up short on published material.
The 4 articles that I've found are:
-- The RAILROAD ENTHUSIAST V2-#1 Sept - Feb 1965
-- The NATIONAL RAILWAY BULLETIN V64 - #4 1999
-- TRACTION & MODELS magazine July 1971
-- RAILPACE magazine Sept 2010 (current operations)
If anyone can add to this list, I'd appreciate it. Mike
  by bk77

I don't live anywhere near the G&U so I'm curious, has traffic picked up to Upton yard? Judging by a recent pic on "Nerail" it looks like that guy they with the silo's has been getting a decent amount of tank cars.

---BILL
  by g-u-rr

g-u-rr wrote:I have been trying to compile a list of articles written about the G&U over the years. There is MUCH very useful and valuable information and photography available through various websites but I've come up short on published material.
I found another magazine article:
-- RAILROAD MODEL CRAFTSMAN magazine November 1997
  by daylight4449

g-u-rr wrote:I have been trying to compile a list of articles written about the G&U over the years. There is MUCH very useful and valuable information and photography available through various websites but I've come up short on published material.
There was an article in model railroader back in the 90s. I'll try and dig that issue out of my closet sometime soon.
  by craven

I was in Hopedale this weekend and noticed the 8 -10 large bundles of Railroad Ties are gone.

Has anyone seen any rail work being done, other than the siding behind the Fire station in Grafton?
  by EastMassParanormal

Why are they building a siding behind the fire station?
  by daylight4449

daylight4449 wrote:
There was an article in model railroader back in the 90s. I'll try and dig that issue out of my closet sometime soon.
Sorry, that article was in RMC. I think it was a 1998 issue. Read it the other day. Gives a brief history of the line, and an author's account of riding along with the operations of the railroad.
  by frrc

EastMassParanormal wrote:Why are they building a siding behind the fire station?
Probably an expansion of the siding that used to be there, behind Cumberland Farms. The former NH wire car used to be there, and last time I was in the area, there were a few hoppers full of old RR ties on the siding.

J
  by EastMassParanormal

Ahh I gotcha.