• GP15-1 series in yard service?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Engineer James

Lookin up on the CSX Roster, updated March 17th, and it states that the 1500 Series GP15-1's including #1534 (ex-CR #1616 the last known locomotive my Grandfather operated) has been thrown into Yard Service only?? Now, whats up with this? Are they going to be doing away with them soon?

Also, does anyone konw if they will make them into the DF scheme?

by Scotty Burkhardt

There's still a couple of them on the New Rock Sub. And I'm positive I've seen one in DF. 1514??

by scooter3798

There are four of the Ex Conrail GP15-1's on the new paint scheme, 1542, 1545, 1551, and 1560. I have seen a couple of them in road service with in the past two weeks, but I can't say that there aren't some assigned to a yard somewhere. While there are a lot of slug sets that roam around the system in general service there are some sets that have been assigned to yards, Cumberland has two sets of them. Plus it seems that the ones that are assigned to yard service are in no particular order, so based on the way that the road slugs have been assigned the 15's could be the same way, the 1534 and 1536 could be in yard service while the 1535 could be in general service.

Scooter

by conrail71

Hey, CSX 1554 is working the yard and locals in Rochester, N.Y. in Conrail paint. There's a photo on my Blog, link below.
Mike

by Engineer James

Ok, thanks guys.

by conrail_engineer

About a year ago, I worked with one in new "DF" paint, working a yard job...totally refurbished with new seats, overhauled control stand, about as good as we'll see them. My first and only time with a GP-15.

How long will they keep it/them? New paint is no proof of plans to keep power...we saw quite a number of repainted ex-Con SD-50s sent back, in the months after split. I suspect the ones in good repair will remain, because so much of CSX's yard power is o-o-ld...

by Engineer James

So, then my question is if CSX WERE to sell the GP-15's where or who would sell them? Or would they just scrap em'??

Like everybody knows I am interested in #1534 (CR #1616) and #1536 (CR #1618) since these 2 locomotives were the last 2 operated by my granddad when he worked for CR. I would like to get my hands on either of those units when they are retired.

by lvrr325

They either get put up for bid as surplus, or in some cases they may deal directly with a locomotive leasing outfit as the last time they disposed of a large number of Conrail units.

GP15's are relatively new units, it's highly unlikely that any would be scrapped given their flexibility - a glut of them on the market would more likely spell the end for older EMD's and GE's on shortlines and industrial operations where lower horsepower units are ideal.

by Engineer James

So then its possible that those my go to shortlines? That's a relief.

by octr202

Railpace (for what its worth) reported in the last issue that NS had several shortlines/regionals interested in their recently retired GP15s, but that the whole batch was snapped up by a couple of the lessors.

by lvrr325

exactly, a leasing outfit can make good money with relatively new, low-horsepower units available to lease, and they can free up older units to sell, scrap or lease to other outfits for less money per day.