Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Fred G

How about some love for these workhorses?

by FL9AC

few pics I took a few years back:

by jtrain22

Nice pics those are some great locomotives.

by Frank

Great pictures!

by DutchRailnut

I liked these puppies better.

by H.F.Malone

Ah, the good old 806-- I remember it running out of fuel at Fairgrounds siding in Danbury, with a B&O business car one Sunday afternoon. That was fun! 2 FL9s to the rescue!!

Dutch, you must be the only engineer around who prefers old GEs to anything EMD....most engineers seem to HATE GEs. Why do you like the B23s over the GP35s?

by Noel Weaver

I can't speak for "Dutch" and I left Metro-North before they got the
GP-35's. I can say this, the GP-35 was not one of EMD's better products.
I remember them well when I was working the River Line. Occasionally
they would run well especially if the whole set of power was GP-35's but
when they were mixed with other power, as they usually were, they were
often troublesome and especially when MU'd with GE's. In this case we
could usually expect almost anything to happen and when power troubles
occurred it was usually the GP-35 that was the problem or caused the
problem. I had them single once or twice on the wayfreight out of
Weehawken to West Haverstraw and back and on that job they were not
too bad.
Conrail derated them from 2500 HP to 2200 HP and they ran better after
that was done.
Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

First the GP35m is not a GP35 but a GP38 in GP 35 body, its neutered with no Turbo and only rootsblown 567 engine its has no pull.
The B23-7's did have the HP but were often plugged from long idleing at yards, but give me two GE B23-7's over the GP35m on a stone or welded rail anytime.

by Jeff Smith

Outside of the obvious shots at 125th, what yards / stations are these shots at? I like Dutch's shot - it looks like an old low-level station, I recognize the gate separating the outside track from the platform (I remember something similar at Mamaroneck before the change to Upper Level). I would deduce it's somewhere on the Upper Harlem before electrification, when MNRR was first born. Brewster?

by FL9AC

It looks like Fred G's photos were all taken from the 125th street station. My first photo with the 543 and 106 was taken in Croton Harmon yard, and the second photo with just the 106 was taken in Brewster yard. Both areas are off limits to the general public. I don't have many good "action/mainline" shots of these units :( .

by Fred G

FL9AC wrote:It looks like Fred G's photos were all taken from the 125th street station. My first photo with the 543 and 106 was taken in Croton Harmon yard, and the second photo with just the 106 was taken in Brewster yard. Both areas are off limits to the general public. I don't have many good "action/mainline" shots of these units :( .
Yessir, 125th is correct. I wouldn't frown if I were you; you've got some excellent shots in out of the ordinary places.

Here are a couple more, of 103 and 104.

On track duty in Milford

New Haven

by uhaul

So which L were those first photographs taken on?

by DutchRailnut

Park Avenue viaduct at 125th street.

by pnaw10

Sarge wrote:I like Dutch's shot - it looks like an old low-level station, I recognize the gate separating the outside track from the platform (I remember something similar at Mamaroneck before the change to Upper Level). I would deduce it's somewhere on the Upper Harlem before electrification, when MNRR was first born. Brewster?
Since Dutch hadn't replied yet, I went to railpictures.net and ran a search for GE B23-7's on Metro-North. Here's the original page...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 220&nseq=0

...it lists Peekskill as the location. Wow, tricked me too. I was also guessing it looked like an Upper Harlem location.

by Jeff Smith

pnaw10 wrote:
Sarge wrote:I like Dutch's shot - it looks like an old low-level station, I recognize the gate separating the outside track from the platform (I remember something similar at Mamaroneck before the change to Upper Level). I would deduce it's somewhere on the Upper Harlem before electrification, when MNRR was first born. Brewster?
Since Dutch hadn't replied yet, I went to railpictures.net and ran a search for GE B23-7's on Metro-North. Here's the original page...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 220&nseq=0

...it lists Peekskill as the location. Wow, tricked me too. I was also guessing it looked like an Upper Harlem location.
Thanks! I was sure it was Upper Harlem. Guess those would have been RDC shuttles?