• GP 30 Slugs

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Bryanjones

U-Haul wrote:Originally the slugs had no controls in their cabs, but the crews noticed how quite they were. CSXT then installed items necessary for making the slugs capable of leading.
that is totally incorrect. The CSX Road Slug fleet has always been equiped with fully functional cabs and have been capable of leading since day 1. You need to do some research before making such statements. Had there been no intention of having functional cabs on these units hey would have been cut down just like the yard slug fleet.
and while originally the road slugs and mother units were equiped with fuel transfer equipment so that the mother unit could serve as a fuel tender, most if not all of these units have had this equipment removed and the fuel tanks of the slugs have been filled with sand as ballast.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

by LIengineerBob

Anyone out there have decent photos of the REAR of these GP 30 or GP35 slugs?? I am currently working on several HO scale models of these units and desperatly need a good photo of the REAR of the unit to see the details and additional connections that were added. I spent several hours looking over several csx photo sites and NONE of them have a picture of the REAR of the units. I guess the rear end isn't so interesting to phtographers?? I guess a rear end view of a 6400 series GP40-2 mother unit would work also. Any help anyone??

by scooter3798

LIengineerBob, I know I have some detail shots of the cables between the slug and mother while they are coupled, if you're interested I can dig them out, but I can't recall seeing any shots of the back end of a slug by itself. I can only recall two times ever seeing one of the slugs not being hooked up to its mother unit, both times at the Cumberland shops, and both times they were burried were you couldn't get a clean shot, so I wish you luck in finding a shot of one. Also thanks for clearing up the cab thing Bryan, I thought that sounded odd.

Scooter

by conrail_engineer

LIengineerBob wrote:Anyone out there have decent photos of the REAR of these GP 30 or GP35 slugs?? I am currently working on several HO scale models of these units and desperatly need a good photo of the REAR of the unit to see the details and additional connections that were added. I spent several hours looking over several csx photo sites and NONE of them have a picture of the REAR of the units. I guess the rear end isn't so interesting to phtographers?? I guess a rear end view of a 6400 series GP40-2 mother unit would work also. Any help anyone??
I can try to give you a photo of a GP-38 slug...it happens there's one in our yard fleet right now. Worked it yesterday...and yes, I can assure people there's heat in those things.

The rear of the slug is identical to a comparable EMD, except that the number boards are welded up; and the headlight housing is covered with a flat welded plate. Curiously, they didn't just cut out the headlight cast housing. It's there but it's got a flat, seamless face.

The slug connects to the mother with a second, smaller cable along side the jumper cable. I haven't had it apart; messing with 600 volts doesn't excite me.

The sides are welded up, as noted, except for an access door where the compressor room would be in a locomotive. Curiously, there's a light overhead to the door...no other CSX power has that, although there are some NS high-noses with high-mounted walkway lights.

If I can ever get the data cable for my digital cam out, I'll snap some photos during "coffee."

by LIengineerBob

conrail_engineer wrote: I can try to give you a photo of a GP-38 slug...it happens there's one in our yard fleet right now. Worked it yesterday...and yes, I can assure people there's heat in those things.

The rear of the slug is identical to a comparable EMD, except that the number boards are welded up; and the headlight housing is covered with a flat welded plate. Curiously, they didn't just cut out the headlight cast housing. It's there but it's got a flat, seamless face.

The slug connects to the mother with a second, smaller cable along side the jumper cable. I haven't had it apart; messing with 600 volts doesn't excite me.

The sides are welded up, as noted, except for an access door where the compressor room would be in a locomotive. Curiously, there's a light overhead to the door...no other CSX power has that, although there are some NS high-noses with high-mounted walkway lights.

If I can ever get the data cable for my digital cam out, I'll snap some photos during "coffee."

Thanks CR Engineer for your help. All the more photos, the better!! I have the details pretty much well down on the hood/body portion of the units, it's really the rear pilot details and the extra connections that are giving me trouble getting a good look at.
99% of the photos I have found they are coupled to the mother units and 99% of railfan photographers don't seem to photograph the rear of units.

THANKS again for your help, and if I could coffee would be on me!! :P