• Government shutdown...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by USRailFan

...does this mean Amtrak stops all their Trains "immideately", or are Amtrak exempt from this, similar to FAA and the Forces?
  by Backshophoss

Amtrak Didn't shut down 17 years ago,the last time the congress critters created this MESS!!
  by canobiecrazy

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2013 ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not on this list, but the Department of Transportation is.

edit:

"Ride Amtrak: While Amtrak receives federal subsidies, it's organized as a corporation and collects enough revenue in ticket fees to outlast a brief shutdown."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 24691.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Absolute worst case scenario and this lasts more than a couple days? Long distances might get service cuts or temporary suspension of service, but there is no way that the profitable, highly traveled routes, like the NEC, Keystone Corridor, Cascades, Downeaster, etc. would get impacted much, if at all.

I don't think this will last past Wednesday, or Thursday if they're really feeling uncooperative, so I don't think Amtrak will actually have any service disruptions caused by this, at least not in the short term.
Last edited by canobiecrazy on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by afiggatt

USRailFan wrote:...does this mean Amtrak stops all their Trains "immideately", or are Amtrak exempt from this, similar to FAA and the Forces?
Amtrak is not a federal agency, so it is not directly subject to shutdown. However, Amtrak is cut off from operating subsidy, debt service, and capital grant payments from the FRA. Quoting the Amtrak news release posted earlier today (which was a busy day for Amtrak news releases):
WASHINGTON – In light of the uncertainty in the federal budgeting process, Amtrak issued the following statement today:

“Amtrak will continue normal operation of its national intercity and high-speed passenger rail network in the event of a short
-term federal government shutdown. Passengers planning to travel on Amtrak trains in the Northeast Corridor and across the country in the coming days and weeks can be assured that Amtrak will remain open for business.”
  by JLJ061

According to NARP News, the shutdown will not affect Amtrak immediately; However if the shutdown lasts longer than five weeks it might be another story.
  by MBTA1016

Backshophoss wrote:Amtrak Didn't shut down 17 years ago,the last time the congress critters created this MESS!!
Mess is an understatement, more like a major_______(place in any adjective). I wasn't around the last time they had a shutdown so I wouldn't know if amtrak kept running or not.
  by mvb119

The memo was sent out to all Amtrak employees that it will continue running during the shutdown. Barring a long term shutdown there should not be anything to worry about.
  by MBTA1016

That's good news considering amtrak is dealing with the metro north situation right now, they don't need more on their plate. Nice little clip 25hz, that's how everyone felt when the Feds shutdown
  by BenH

This is Amtrak's current position:
“Amtrak will continue normal operation of its national intercity and high speed passenger rail network in the event of a short term federal government shutdown.
Passengers planning to travel on Amtrak trains in the Northeast Corridor and across the country in the coming days and weeks can be assured that Amtrak will remain open for business.”

Ref:
Amtrak Press Release, 9/30/2013
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/592/1004/Am ... 13-110.pdf

At some stage the company, which relies on funds from the U.S. Treasury, would need to curtail some or all of its activities. At the moment though, its seems to be business as usual -- at least for a few weeks.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Would 403b routes (state-funded) less likely to feel effects of a long term shutdown?
  by Suburban Station

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Would 403b routes (state-funded) less likely to feel effects of a long term shutdown?
403b is a dead law, I suppose they are 209 trains now. the more 209 funded trains exist the more stable amtrak would be without federal support. at most risk would be the money losing long hauls that don't even cover the cost of operation in the winter months (possibly excepting the florida trains.)
  by BenH

Suburban Station wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Would 403b routes (state-funded) less likely to feel effects of a long term shutdown?
403b is a dead law, I suppose they are 209 trains now. the more 209 funded trains exist the more stable amtrak would be without federal support. at most risk would be the money losing long hauls that don't even cover the cost of operation in the winter months (possibly excepting the florida trains.)
I'm not sure that I agree. I doubt that Amtrak will pick and choice which lines they will continue to operate when/if their cash on hand starts to run out. I would be surprised to see them shutdown certain routes in favor of others. This would be like the U.S. Park service closing some parks while keeping others open.

Of course I could be wrong.

We will know more if/when Amtrak releases their contingency plans for the federal government shutdown.
Last edited by BenH on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

Mod note: Be careful about your politics. The politics of the shutdown DO NOT concern Amtrak funding, so let's leave politics out of the discussion of Amtrak's operations during a shutdown.
  by mtuandrew

In regard to R36's point, the 209 (403b) trains are no more immune to shutdown than the national system trains. Amtrak is a national company, and can't afford to be seen as playing regional or state favorites.

That said, a prolonged Federal shutdown would heavily encourage the states (starting with California, and moving onward to New York, Virginia et al) to take their ball and go to a third-party operator - permanently.
  by jamesinclair

Im concerned this will affect Thanksgiving trains.

Those responsible for the shutdown were elected on the following platform:
Government sucks
Government is too big
Shut down everything we dont need

The shut down is their dream come true. They have no incentive to end it any time soon. Its not unrealistic to see this going on for over a month. Luckily, Thanksgiving is very late this year

Speaking of thanksgiving, when do those specials tend to get announced?