• Gotta Love How Amtrak takes care of Active Duty Military

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

NOT!!!!

So a dear, dear friend, who is a serving Colonel, is flying internationally into Philadelphia. Thanks to you folks, she'll take SEPTA from Terminal A (US Airways International Arrivals) to 30th Street, where she'll await ... wait for this...

A REGIONAL

Why, you ask? Because, on weekdays, Active Duty Military are not eligible for travel on Acela.

So, guess what she cannot use? That's right...

THE LOUNGE

Why, you ask? Because she's not travelling First Class on an Acela.

Amtak, your customer service is not quite as good as...

MEGABUS
  by ngotwalt

A correction, she can take Acela, she just doesn't get a discount (10% only off base business class fare only, no discount off 1st class upgrade). Also, even if she took Acela, she wouldn't get lounge access unless she was first class, there are no valid discounts for Acela 1st class, business class on all other trains, or sleeping car accommodations.
Cheers,
Nick
  by rohr turbo

I guess you mean that active duty military personnel are not eligible for the 10% discount on weekday Acela Express service. Not that they are banned from the train.

http://www.amtrak.com/military-discounts

10% is more generous than United Airlines (5%). I can't find Megabus's offer, but they hardly have a service equivalent to Acela.
  by jhdeasy

In the 1970s and 1980s, I remember Amtrak's active duty military "furlough" fare reflected a 25% discount over the regular coach fare, a better deal than what Amtrak offers today. I took advantage of it more than a few times, also in conjunction with a single slumbercoach room. It was not valid on Metroliners.

Southern Railway offered a similar discounted military "furlough" fare on its trains right up until the last day of service (February 1, 1979) of the Southern Crescent.
  by Mackensen

John_Perkowski wrote:NOT!!!!

So a dear, dear friend, who is a serving Colonel, is flying internationally into Philadelphia. Thanks to you folks, she'll take SEPTA from Terminal A (US Airways International Arrivals) to 30th Street, where she'll await ... wait for this...

A REGIONAL

Why, you ask? Because, on weekdays, Active Duty Military are not eligible for travel on Acela.

So, guess what she cannot use? That's right...

THE LOUNGE

Why, you ask? Because she's not travelling First Class on an Acela.

Amtak, your customer service is not quite as good as...

MEGABUS
Megabus has neither first class, nor a lounge, nor a military discount. She can take whatever train she likes, just without a 10% discount. I'm not immediately aware of any transportation provider which offers a military discount on first class travel, though I'm open to correction.
  by 3rdrail

I'll speak only for myself here but I do feel the need to come to Amtrak's defense as my experience with them during the time that I and other policemen shuttled between Boston and New York during 2001 World Trade Center operations found Amtrak to be extremely helpful, at times even opening up a car so that we could sleep. I will forever be indebted to them for their kind service.
  by Fan Railer

I'm probably going to get flak for throwing this out there, but is THIS really such a MAJOR travesty that bold read letters need to be used in the OP's post? Reactionaries these days.
  by ryanch

I'm glad to hear this, assuming that other classes of people are also not allowed discounts on Acelas at the times this policy holds. I don't think Amtrak or any business has an obligation to discount peak fares. If anyone believes military personnel aren't paid well enough to live the way they should, the thing to do is advocate that they be paid better.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

speaking on MBTA terms and what their most recent tariff states...one in the Active Duty must be in FULL military uniform in order to ride free of charge. Other than that, full fare must be charged, no discount available, nor free rides if only a military/armed forces I.D. is shown
  by ThirdRail7

ryanch wrote:I'm glad to hear this, assuming that other classes of people are also not allowed discounts on Acelas at the times this policy holds.
For the record, EMPLOYEES aren't even allowed on most weekday Acelas unless they are assigned to the train or they pay FULL fare.

As for the rest of the hand wringing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 25Hz

If you're upset, take it to amtrak, there's nothing we can do, this is a railroad enthusiast forum.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:If you're upset, take it to amtrak, there's nothing we can do, this is a railroad enthusiast forum.
And information giving sometimes nonsense filled forum too.....
  by danjon32

So I'm going to speak out and I am more of an observer of this page. Where to start...
1. I'm active duty military. I'm a Chief Warrant Officer 3. I get paid well. A Colonel? Are you kidding me? A colonel makes around $100,000 a year after base pay, housing, subsistence, etc. They can afford it.
2. I ask if a place or service offers a military discount when I shop. Some do. Some don't. It's their prerogative. I chose whether or not that is acceptable for me or not. I don't bitch to others about it. I am not entitled to discounts. Some places just feel that it is good customer service or whatever their reasoning is. I didn't join the Army for discounts.
3. Lastly, I do not want favoritism or sympathy because I volunteered to join the military. Again, some places are more military friendly than others. Their choice. It's my choice to accept it or not. I will take Amtrak any day of the week over a bus!

Have a great day all!
  by R36 Combine Coach

Greyhound military discount is 10%, with no holiday blackout dates.

NJT is probably the most generous: all active duty and reserve at reduced fare all times with valid ID. Some NJT-subsidy private bus carriers including Trans-Bridge also participate.

LIRR charges off-peak fare (not senior rate) to military passengers all times.