• Getting a foot in the door.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by lf1985

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member and have a question to anyone who can help...
How do I get my foot in the door at Union Pacific?, OR ANY RAILROAD? I am trying to get a track laborer job on the system side. I am willing to start anywhere... doing any type of work- outdoors. I have filled out applications whenever posted and for many different positions over the last 8 months.

In my pursuit I have done the following:
1) Asked current employees how to get hired, ------------which all they said was apply online, its the only way.
2) Applied online (There are very few positions posted, and I have never gotten a single call on any applications i submitted)
3) Followed up application with call to human resources, and asked about application status. (The robotic lady in the HR dept stated that "if i was selected for an interview i would be contacted"

I realize that M.O.W. and RR maintenance jobs aren't for everyone, the work is tough and it is all days of the year (including holidays) and all shifts of the day. I work on an Oil Rig in North Dakota. We work all days of the year (assuming we're not laid off), and we work in some pretty harsh weather conditions. This is the kind of work I was made to do, I can't sit around and hold down a desk. I played four years of college football ending last year and i'm still in damn good shape. I've never missed a day of work in my life, nor have I ever used a sick day..... to me this is the kind of employee railroad companies are looking for.... RIGHT?

I have submitted applications to every class 1 RR and haven't even received a phone call. (YES, EVERY CLASS 1 RR)
What do i need to do to get an interview? I maintained a steady concrete foreman job while being a full time student athlete. No gaps in my employment history- NONE.

Is there a secret code to get hired on a railroad? I am willing to work sun up to sun down (and i dont care if they pay me in subway sandwiches until my probationary period is up) I just want a shot to prove myself to a RR company.
  by matawanaberdeen

Everyone tells me it just takes time. I have put in 15/20 apps between NJT and Amtrak over the last year and not one interview. It just takes time and a long time in some cases I'm told. Just keep trying. JC
  by COEN77

It's a crap shoot. With the state of the economy and 10+% of the population unemployed it might take knowing someone to get your foot in the door. Times are tough. This time of year MOW is getting as much done as possible before winter. That might not be the case in the west and southwest it definitely is on the east coast, midwest, and up north. Springtime would be a better chance for a laborers job. Keep on trying that's the only advise. Good luck.
  by Gadfly

If you are willing to move, NS WAS advertising for traveling mechanics on their website. IF you have MECHANICAL esperience, here's your chance. I'd apply even if you don't. Sometimes if you show mechanical aptitude, they will train you. These mechanics, or on NS, Pump Repairmen, follow the gangs and repair hydraulics such as cylinders, pumps/motors, small engines--primarily those on track machinery.
You must be willing to spend most of your time OUT OF TOWN. Be prepared to be furloughed in the winter, especially in the early years as lay-offs are done according to seniority. It's a good job but it ain't no 9 to 5 office job!!

GF
  by lf1985

Thanks for the replies-
I live in Wisconsin and I travel to North Dakota for work (10 days on, 5 days off)
And I am willing to relocate, travel. I've applied for jobs in just about every part of the country.
I guess i might just be happy to get an interview... you know so i could actually talk to someone face to face.
  by mrtransportation

Hi to all,

I know exactly how feels to apply for railroad jobs to get your foot in door. And hear nothing from them or they contact you by telling you that to many people had applied for the same job or jobs you applied for or not qualify for that position, etc. Been trying the past three years with applying to every companies. It does not help your chances to get a job with the way the economy is now. Then there is alot of competion with people looking for the same jobs as you are. With all the different classes of railroads, railroad engineering firms, etc. Lost my account on how many times I applied for jobs with NS, CSX, UP, BNSF, CP, CN, KCS and Conrail. It is kinda of funny and sad in a way. I think the amount of jobs I have applied for is estimate about 500 to 600 jobs in last three years. That number could be more then that. At some point I am going to list the exact number of jobs I have applied for with each company on here.
The railroad industry is very picky who they want to hire in general. They like or want people from the military, shift workers, past workers from the railroad, construction workers, etc. Know there are alot of jobs that I have applied for in the past that would make me perfect fit for there companies or postions and have been turned down. But I have not giving up or stop applying now. Do have a excellent understanding in what they are looking for in candidate. And I do not hate the comapnies for not hiring me. Just makes me kinda of annoyed and frustrated to have to waiting to get my chance to help the industry out with safety and security.
Here is the kicker 1) Have masters in engineering, 2)Member of AREMA- American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, 3)Understanding of Engineering with mechancial and techncial background, gearhead with machines. 4) And having learning disability with testing, but no effect with working.
I have alot of information I would love to share with all of you, but it be book in its self and would be boring as hell too. Where are all comments I am going to get from this post!
Last edited by mrtransportation on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MikeJ

mrtransportation wrote:Hi to all,

I know exactly how feels to apply for railroad jobs, etc to get your foot in door. And hear nothing from them or give you response telling they had to many people apply for jobs you applied for or not qualify for that position, etc. I know I have been trying the past three years with all companies. Also does not help to a have economy be in the toilet, with alot of competion with people looking for the same jobs as you are. With 1st, 2nd, 3rd class, industrial/terminal railroads, commuter railroads, railroad engineering firms, etc. To name a few. Lost account on how times I applied for jobs with NS, CSX, UP, BNSF, CP, CN, KCS and Conrail, it kinda of funny and sad as well. I think the amount of jobs I have applied for is estimate about 500 to 600 jobs in last three years. That could be more then I estimate. At some point I am going to list how many jobs I have applied for with each company on here.
I know the railroad industry is very picky who they want to hire in general. They specially like or want people from military, shift workers, past railroad experience, construction workers, etc. I know alot of jobs I have applied for in the past that would make me perfect fit for there companies, I have been turned down. But I have not giving up or stop applying, applying and waiting, etc. I do understand they are looking for best candiate that will be best fit for there companies. And I do not hate the comapnies for not hiring me. Just makes me kinda of annoyed and frustrated to have to waiting to get my chance to help the industry out with safety and security.
Here is the kicker 1) Have masters in engineering, 2)Member of AREMA- American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, 3)Understanding of Engineering with mechancial and techncial background, gearhead with machines. 4) And having learning disability with testing, but no effect with working.
I have alot of information I would love to share with all of you, but it be book in its self and would be boring as hell too. Where are all comments I am going to get from this post!
What amazes me is that you have a masters, yet your grammar is as bad as it is. Perhaps that is your downfall?
  by mrtransportation

Hi Mike,

Well maybe. Well that might be related to hiring tests that I had taken in the past. Then again maybe not effect in general. Then again I have not written papers or letter in long time so you get rusty. My grammar has never been as good as could be and will be. Most engineers are not that good with there english as whole in general. What I have heard from people in the past. I might not be that good at writing on here or writing papers. But did make good effort, determination and hard work. But I can sure tell you this. That I am more then able and capable to handle any of many types of positions that each company has posted. Thanks for information about my grammar mikej.
  by COEN77

Darn, I hate the grammar police. You sound highly qualified. It doesn't cost anything but a little of your time to apply. Heck when I hired out we had some of the best conductors I've ever worked with that never graduated school and didn't know how to read and write. They knew how to switch cars, work industries ect...they were the ones you wanted to teach you about railroading. Good luck.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

ALL the old guys could teach you well. They knew so much that half of it was forgotten! The newer guys that learned from them kept the knowledege alive on how to railroad. This is esp. true if you work in the yard on on the locals. Thru freight jobs are more sitting than working,but it is all on the conductor when you need to pick up and set off,as you have no brakeman to help. Some guys are scared to work a road train just as some guys do not like yard or local work. I learned to do both but, really liked the road work with the latest power and seeing the main lines in as many areas as I could. Sometimes qualifing was a hassle though.......
  by MikeJ

COEN77 wrote:Darn, I hate the grammar police.

I am not being the grammar police. My point is that if he has an advanced degree, he does not represent his intelligence level very well with poor english skills. If he writes poorly (and if he talks as bad as he writes) people will hold that against him because he SHOULD be a smart guy. That is why I asked if it may be his downfall.
  by COEN77

There could be a lot of reasons. I know when I post on websites my writing is if I was talking to someone. A lot of times it gets misunderstood because you can't include the emphasis from a tone of voice. What might be a joke or friendly sarcasim can be misinterpated as the opposite of it's meaning. Look at a physicians handwritting terrible while I can't read it a pharmasist understands it. Just because a person has degrees doesn't mean they are an english major.
  by MikeJ

COEN77 wrote: I know when I post on websites my writing is if I was talking to someone. A lot of times it gets misunderstood because you can't include the emphasis from a tone of voice. What might be a joke or friendly sarcasim can be misinterpated as the opposite of it's meaning.

That's great. However, if you read his posts, you can clearly see that tone is not the issue. It is the incomplete, somewhat incomprehensible sentences that are the issue. So you support what I posted by saying you post in the same manner that you talk to someone. If he talks like he posts, he will be looked at as if he is not a very bright person.
  by COEN77

MikeJ wrote:So you support what I posted by saying you post in the same manner that you talk to someone. If he talks like he posts, he will be looked at as if he is not a very bright person.
I can't say I agree with you. I was only posting about myself. I reread the post you are questioning I really don't find anything that leads up to your conclusion. Sure a few words were missing punctuation marks weren't there ect...all in all I understood what he was saying. That's all that matters. Most people don't preview their post. I'm guilty of that. It's the context that is relayed that is important not the manner in which it is presented.
  by slchub

MikeJ wrote:
COEN77 wrote:Darn, I hate the grammar police.

I am not being the grammar police. My point is that if he has an advanced degree, he does not represent his intelligence level very well with poor english skills. If he writes poorly (and if he talks as bad as he writes) people will hold that against him because he SHOULD be a smart guy. That is why I asked if it may be his downfall.
I have many friends with an MBA and higher (including a few Physicians) who could be taught a thing or two by a class of 5th graders in grammar, composition and sentence structure.

I doubt his grammar/english skills will be held against him. I've seen plenty of memos, superintendents bulletins, internal letters, etc. on the RR and many have had plenty of grammar problems.