• Generator Move at Manchester NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by artman

Not sure if this is the right place for this, as I don't know which Railroad will be transporting it...

NH DOT Reports through their Facebook page:

"Some traffic backups on I-93 northbound this afternoon as a large supermove of a generator made its way north from Massachusetts to the Manchester area where it was going to be loaded onto a rail car."

72-Wheel Trailier

If it is being trucked to Manchester and going by Rail - where to?
  by Hux

Nice catch. Interesting head scratcher to say the least.
  by artman

Yes - would they truck all the way to Manchester just to rail it back to Nashua or somewhere south? I cannot find anything on line
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by Dick H

Possibility that there is no suitable location in Nashua where that heavyweight
trailer and load could drive right to the rail side. A frozen or muddy rail yard
sure would not cut the mustard.
  by flyingfox10

It came in by rail, and was loaded onto the truck.
  by Rockingham Racer

That seems to contradict the OP's Facebook quote. So, which is it?
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by artman

flyingfox10 wrote:It came in by rail, and was loaded onto the truck.
I agree that makes more sense, but why did the DOT say otherwise? Maybe they messed up
  by wally

it arrived in manchester by rail, and was driven via the self-propelled "trailer" to a location in londonderry, near scobie pond substation. a transformer, not a generator, it is over 500k lbs, built in south korea.
  by Rockingham Racer

Would've been easier if the M&L were in service. Just kidding.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting