• General Freight Car Component Dimensions and Specifications

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by admiralwolf

Hi, everyone.

I'm hoping to get some important information for a class I'm teaching on computer animation and so far the web has not yielded the results I need. I hope someone here can help me out.

I am trying to get a number of dimensions on parts for freight cars. If anyone has knowledge on this or knows where I can get it, I and my students would greatly appreciate your help.

I have a photo I took here a few days ago (I foolishly forgot to take measurements with a tape meausre).

The coupler is circled just as a highlight, but what I need to know, if anyone has the info, are the dimensions for the knuckle, the main coupler head section (height, width, length is possible) and the height above the railhead that couplers are supposed to be mounted. I realize that the distance may not be an absolute, and that differences are possible just due to car manufacturer differences and such, but was would be "average" or "common".

Additionally, does anyone know the average dimensions for a freight car wheel and axle on a tank car such as this?

I'd need the rim height and thickness, thickness of the main wheel's contact surface and the radius of the main part of the wheel (I think the tyre, but I'm not entirely certain of the terminology) and the dimensions of the axle. And if someone should have it, possible a rough estimate of the dimensions of a truck used on a freight car.

I know it's a lot to ask for, but if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to be able to make this as realistic for my students as possible.

Thank you for any help anyone can give.[/img]