• General critique of museums and NRHS (was: M&H Chapter)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Alcoman

lvrr325 wrote:I think you'll find in the end that you had people with their own agendas take advantage of the group to meet their own ends, that's usually how so many things end up stolen, lost, forgotten, scrapped, or left to rot.

You are right about that. As a former member, I witnessed first hand! That is one of the reasons the group is dying. When I joined, there were about 350 members in 1978, now I am told they have less than 12.
  by Steamtown Observer

They have not filed a 990 with the IRS since 2005. The New York Department of State has them listed as "Inactive". Not sure how long they have been classified that way or what it legally means in New York. Last year I did try to get contact info for the Chapter from the National NRHS but they gave me a runaround. I asked them about the Alco photos. The woman who answered told me someone would call me back. I called back 3 times over the course of a month - I get the hint.

I also tried contacting the City. They put me in touch with their library system and no one there had any idea what I was talking about. Sadly since only a handful of us seem to care it looks like this will just go away. Somebody knows what happened to the money but unless a legal authority takes an interest I think it's over.

I suspect the NRHS will continue to list them as an active chapter until the NRHS itself goes away? (I give the NRHS 5 years tops)
  by mxdata

That would be consistent with a number of other chapters that appear to exist only in the pages of the NRHS directory. I have tried to contact a few in travel - no websites, telephone numbers that do not work, no information on meeting locations or times, etc.

Considering how many chapters have out of date websites, it would seem like a clinic on how to set up and maintain a website would be a worthwhile activity at a NRHS National Convention.

MX
  by Steamtown Observer

MX,

It would be interesting if someone was to take info on dead chapters that people you you and I have figured out. If you throw in the condition of the economy these days I think up to a quarter of the NRHS Chapters listed may no longer exist. The NRHS obviously knows this too but is hiding it because otherwise it would start to be obvious that is is not a national organization anymore, rather a loose collection of random slide shows.
  by mxdata

That last sentence in your post is fascinating. Let me explain why....

One of the national officers was talking at a chapter meeting a while back, and in response to a question about the "value" that the national organization provides the chapters in return for their dues he answered:

"Well, without us (the national), the chapters would just be a bunch of slide showing clubs."

The person sitting in back of me, a very well known author and former magazine editor commented:

"My God, I don't believe he just said that..."

And now you know the rest of the story.....

MX
  by scharnhorst

I my self was a member of one of the Local NHRS groups in my area for about a year although I won't name them in specifics but I stopped making donations and giving up my hard earned cash to the NRHS just for the fact that the money was never being used for its intended use or the project members did not follow threw on what they were going to do most of the time. It seemed to me as if they were living in there own little world. The last straw that broke the camels back was a passenger car that was not road worthy and the RR would not move it so a trucking company was called to move it that was more money pissed away in none refundable down payments to get a crew on site with a crane and all that jazz. In the end the car never got loaded on any semis and it just got scraped because the people running the show boat dropped the ball 2 times with the trucking outfit. I don't even associate with any of the members and there screwed up circus of a group.

Going to monthly meetings was more of a boxing match as well with people getting into arguments with each other over how the money should be spent and loads of Bitching over this person said this and that person said that and bla bla bla........ in the end money the board of directors never listen to anyone and the money was wasted on never will be projects.

I think and its just my opinion that many of these NRHS Groups start out with good intent but in the end there going on spending sprees and grow beyond there means and bank accounts trying to save anything and everything they can get there hands on with out looking at the big picture here of whats worth saving and what is Junk and not worth salvaging.
  by Alcoman

scharnhorst wrote:I my self was a member of one of the Local NHRS groups in my area for about a year although I won't name them in specifics but I stopped making donations and giving up my hard earned cash to the NRHS just for the fact that the money was never being used for its intended use or the project members did not follow threw on what they were going to do most of the time. It seemed to me as if they were living in there own little world. The last straw that broke the camels back was a passenger car that was not road worthy and the RR would not move it so a trucking company was called to move it that was more money pissed away in none refundable down payments to get a crew on site with a crane and all that jazz. In the end the car never got loaded on any semis and it just got scraped because the people running the show boat dropped the ball 2 times with the trucking outfit. I don't even associate with any of the members and there screwed up circus of a group.

Going to monthly meetings was more of a boxing match as well with people getting into arguments with each other over how the money should be spent and loads of Bitching over this person said this and that person said that and bla bla bla........ in the end money the board of directors never listen to anyone and the money was wasted on never will be projects.

I think and its just my opinion that many of these NRHS Groups start out with good intent but in the end there going on spending sprees and grow beyond there means and bank accounts trying to save anything and everything they can get there hands on with out looking at the big picture here of whats worth saving and what is Junk and not worth salvaging.
It sounds like both a NRHS group and a another RR group I USED to belong too.
  by Benjamin Maggi

I agree with many of the sentiments above, especially about trying to contact the M&H. However, I gentleman I know is an active member of it and I bump into him now and again. Since I wanted to actually have my service mean something, lately I have been giving my time to the new Alco group instead.
  by Steamtown Observer

I understand the Rochester Chapter has left the NRHS and is now a stand alone organization. With next year's very sizable NRHS National dues increase I expect we will see more of this.
  by mxdata

I can confirm that the same discussion is currently going on at several chapters in my area.

MX
  by O-6-O

It is simply amazing how often this kind of story gets told. Whether a NRHS chapter or not these railroad deals seem
to find a way to screw up a good thing. It's true, usually a power play of some type is going on and something brings it
to the fore front. Those of us that simply show up to help get the short end of it and we leave. A volunteer orgainization is
a very fragle thing and but must be handled with care. EGO KILLS.
  by jnugent56

Steamtown Observer wrote:I understand the Rochester Chapter has left the NRHS and is now a stand alone organization.
That's correct. We had several reasons for doing so, but dues played a significant role. Our dues were $57 last year. The NRHS received $36 per member while the chapter received $21. It's hard to attract new volunteers at the $57 rate, especially when your average volunteer already invests so much of their time and money to the organization. We were also interested in attracting talented individuals from the local colleges: RIT, University of Rochester, Nazareth, etc. Our new dues rate of $25 should be easier for everyone to afford, young and old alike.

At the end of the day, we are trying to grow as a museum and an organization. While the NRHS was key in our formation and development, it hasn't done much for our growth.
  by CarterB

Other than possibly NYC #100 and #278, what do they have that's worth trying to save?
  by Steamtown Observer

Other than possibly NYC #100 and #278, what do they have that's worth trying to save?
The Alco photo collection. The $30,000 or so in cash they last reported to the IRS would go a long way towards either protecting the photos or moving the two electric motors.
  by Alcoman

Steamtown Observer wrote:
The Alco photo collection. The $30,000 or so in cash they last reported to the IRS would go a long way towards either protecting the photos or moving the two electric motors.
The M&H Chapter and the ALCO Historic Photos are treated as separate operations even as they are one. The AHP has tried to break away from M&H without success because of rules from NRHS National.

BTW, That cash is a result of selling assets of the group and slashing all expenses. This means No equipment, No Newsletter, No Dinner, No meetings, No ALCO preservation,No trips, No rent. and No Train Show. Another words, they have nothing to offer as a group. Then they wonder why they are dying.