• GE River Works (West Lynn) historic question?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by jbvb

I'm working on a condensed version of West Lynn, MA, on the B&M Eastern Route, pre-1965. I've got Carpenter's "River Works - City Within a City", which has site plans from 1930 and 1989. But it doesn't say when Buildings 30 and 31 (iron and steel foundries, respectively) were demolished. My earliest memories of it are circa 1965, and I'm pretty sure they were gone by then. Anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone know of post-WWII photos showing the rail-facing sides of the main plant and the gear works?

by tom18287

make sure you include the saugus brance :wink:

by jbvb

I was laying track on my Saugus Branch yesterday, though operationally I intend to treat it like the East Boston line from Everett Jct. might have been had the NH built and electrified the planned harbor tunnel.

by Dave D

JBVB

If my memorry is correct bldg 30 (dirty 30) was torn down in the late eighties, right after MSTG went to New York. I know it was gone when we moved back to bldg 32 from West Lynn (bldg 52) around 1991.

I will be going back to work Monday (if my contract is renewed as I am a pensioner) and will see what I can find out about bldg 31.

Dave D.

by Xplorer2000

Dave D wrote:JBVB

If my memory is correct bldg 30 (dirty 30) was torn down in the late eighties, right after MSTG went to New York. I know it was gone when we moved back to bldg 32 from West Lynn (bldg 52) around 1991.

I will be going back to work Monday (if my contract is renewed as I am a pensioner) and will see what I can find out about bldg 31.

Dave D.
I worked for the food service outfit at the River Works in the early 80's, and "dirty 30" was indeed still there, as late as August of 84 when I left for greener pastures. My great uncle also worked there until his retirement. If memory serves me, Bldg 30 was leveled sometime around 89-90, because the big blank space was visible from the commuter train on the ride home from work .