Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by nh chris

Coming out of the basement of GCT this morning, I passed tracks 110 and 111. Unlike the other tracks in that area (or most of the other tracks in the terminal), these track ends are fitted with sturdy steel retaining "bulkheads".

Is the purpose of these bulkheads to stop runaway trains?

NH Chris

by DutchRailnut

If you look between the train and the end of track behind the steel bulkhead, there is a huge steam/compressed air Cylinder. I was told by an old GCT superintentendant that that ram was used for kicking mail cars from that platform up the hill to the yard. the thing has not been used since early 1920 I believe he said.
  by nh chris

I looked at how far that ram must have pushed cars to get up the hill when I rode in yesterday morning. Quite an impressive distance. I wonder how they would "catch" the cars at the other end...

NH Chris

by DutchRailnut

The cars after being pushedby ram went up the ladder( F I believe) and rolled back into the yard tracks towards madison aveneu.
the practice was not used to long from what the forrmer superintendent told me.