Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by espeefoamer

I recently saw a video of a cab ride from Randolph St. to Michigan City shops.At the Gary station, I noticed a steam engine on display south and east of the station.Could anyone supply any info on this engine?
Last edited by espeefoamer on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PRRGuy

I can tell you all I know on this Locomotive. It's the last Steam engine left from the EJ&E railway. It's a 2-8-2 mikado #765 originally owned by the EJ&E then later sold to the Duluth Missabe and Iron Range, later the EJ&E repurchased it and put it on display.

by dinwitty

I vaguely recall there may have been some restoration interest for that engine, I dunno if the South Shore revamping in Gary affected its location or not.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/IN.shtml

its listed here in the Steam locomotive website of preserved locos.

by MikeF

No, it is right where it has always been. The South Shore relocation in Gary (which occurred some 20 years ago) was west of the steam locomotive's display area.

by PRRGuy

I wish there were a restoration effort on that loco, it's just rusting away. If we had a staircase down to right near that loco, I'd be down there all the time.