• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by rvlch

EMDs 4111, 4118 and 4135 joined the west end of this line within the past week. A second group of half a dozen Comets had previously joined the west end since the initial reports in early July, as had an additional 6 Arrows on the east end.
  by many19

Guys,
I am a bit confused. What is all the equipment stored in the Garwood area siding doing there. There is a large number of engines all parked there and some have French Canadian tags on them.

Also there is a large number of Passenger equipment, electric and Comets.

What is really the statues of these equipment. My engineers on my RVL ride home said they are all going to scrap.

What is the reality of them.

thank you

Juan
  by many19

many19 wrote:Guys,
I am a bit confused. What is all the equipment stored in the Garwood area siding doing there. There is a large number of engines all parked there and some have French Canadian tags on them.

Also there is a large number of Passenger equipment, electric and Comets.

What is really the statues of these equipment. My engineers on my RVL ride home said they are all going to scrap.

What is the reality of them.

thank you

Juan
These are the pictures I took when I was there last.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=93016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

F40PH & GP-40's
  by MACTRAXX

M19: The equipment with the AMT logo and colors were used in Montreal commuter service on lease from NJT...
There are pictures and other information in the General Discussion-Passenger Rail and the Canadian Railfan sections...

MACTRAXX
  by Kaback9

Mod note.

Posts moved from Hurricane Sandy thread pertaining to Equipment stored in Garwood. Answers should be here.

-Brandon
  by CNJGeep

AFAIK, the equipment is only there because there's no space at the MMC to put the stuff that still needs fixin'.
  by rvlch

The diesel collection on the Garwood industrial is now up to an even dozen for those interested in keeping track of the whereabouts of the fleet:

F40PH-2CAT:

GP40-FH:

GP40-PH-2:

GP40PH-2B:
  by Steve F45

Someone posted a whole bunch of new photos of the dead line. Amazing how they completely dont care about tresspassing. And it appears nearly all the numberboards and some horns are now gone. One engine is missing a door, but that was probably taken off for use on another.
  by 25Hz

Steve F45 wrote:Someone posted a whole bunch of new photos of the dead line. Amazing how they completely dont care about tresspassing. And it appears nearly all the numberboards and some horns are now gone. One engine is missing a door, but that was probably taken off for use on another.
Horns? As in 14 feet up off the ground on top of the cab horns? Well.. then again people have been killed attempting to steal live power lines for the copper...
  by lirr42

25Hz wrote:Horns? As in 14 feet up off the ground on top of the cab horns? Well.. then again people have been killed attempting to steal live power lines for the copper...
I wouldn't mind a nice F40 horn for the top of my car...it would certainly make those slow driving tourists get out of my way when I'm on Montauk Highway!

But that would be silly. They probably just took them off and used them on other engines in the fleet.
  by 25Hz

lirr42 wrote:
25Hz wrote:Horns? As in 14 feet up off the ground on top of the cab horns? Well.. then again people have been killed attempting to steal live power lines for the copper...
I wouldn't mind a nice F40 horn for the top of my car...it would certainly make those slow driving tourists get out of my way when I'm on Montauk Highway!

But that would be silly. They probably just took them off and used them on other engines in the fleet.
That is what i'm guessing as well. I do not remember if 2106 was dead or bad ordered before sandy, but im pretty sure it has water damage based on the looks of it. Lot of odd corrosion here and there and residue that can only come from a saline solution. Poor old guy, needs some paint and a wash and whatever repairs and it'll be good as new. Gotta love those CNJ geeps, will be sad when they are all gone.
  by Steve F45

25hz, yes the horns on the cab roofs of the GP40PH's and i think i saw 2 F40's without horns also. I mean the photographer should know better, unless he works for transit dont post such blatent tresspassing pics.
  by ApproachMedium

Dont be so naive, there is no doubt with the vandalism seen here that people are in fact stealing stuff. The cops are watching the area for a good reason and theres been thefts of quite a few things off the ALP44s in port morris. Someone who will remain unnamed has already been caught by the state police for removing property that was not theirs off the ALPs. Dont be that guy. Its railroad property, not rainfan free for all.
  by many19

Everyone. This is an update as I am traveling parallel to the line. A few MU cars just got moved closer to the new switch at Cranford. These cars have spray painted yellow wheels. Maybe Transit is starting to catch up to their repair schedule.
If anyone know anything else please let us know.
  by ChrisU

They moved the whole string back a couple car lengths to accommodate more locomotives in the near future. Also the Arrows have been continuously getting switched out.