• Garfield Station - On the endangered list?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by SecaucusJunction

The new NJT schedules for NJT now have several trains skipping Garfield station during both peak and off-peak hours. Plauderville is now the main station in the area with it's new high level platform. Does anyone think this is the first step toward Garfield getting "Great Notch'ed"?
  by M&Eman

If NJT really wants to kill Garfield they should give Plauderville full service akin to any other (non-Garfield) Bergen County Line station. There is no good reason for no evening/night inbound trains to stop at Plauderville.
  by Roadgeek Adam

I can't see Garfield Station going entirely. Sure Wesmont's construction and Plauderville's reconstruction have jeopardized the deteriorating station. However, Garfield Station is still closest to downtown. Plauderville is still technically the defacto station for Saddle Brook, along with Garfield, which tends to help Plauderville Station. However, if you want to commute to downtown Garfield, Garfield Station is always the better pick.

Also, reading the 11/06 schedule, Garfield has a lot of trains stops still. If it were really being "Great Notched", I doubt Garfield would have more than 10 trains daily.
  by cruiser939

SecaucusJunction wrote:Does anyone think this is the first step toward Garfield getting "Great Notch'ed"?
I do.
  by RWERN

I'm not sure that people would let a downtown train station evaporate but I suppose stranger things have happened.
  by 25Hz

Flag stop possibility?
  by waldwickrailfan

25Hz wrote:Flag stop possibility?
i dont think NJT do flag stops
  by sullivan1985

RWERN wrote:I'm not sure that people would let a downtown train station evaporate but I suppose stranger things have happened.
No parking and hardly any ridership outside of rush hour. The station is a dump. It wont be missed by many.
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:Flag stop possibility?
No.
  by BlockLine_4111

Looks like the process of "Great-notchin' " this station stop is well under-way as the new Plauderville emerges as the prominent station in the city. NJ Transit eliminated two evening and three morning rush-hour trains from Garfield. And almost all of these were "key" trains by all means.
  by ryanov

IMO, it would be ridiculous to close the downtown station.