• Garden City Secondary Where are the new switches?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by BM6569

I recently read that a new switch is being tied into the secondary in Garden City but they did not give a location. The said it was for a lumber company and a demolition/debris company. Does anyone know where this switch is?

Warren

by Long Island 7285

I pass the GCS every day, I have seen plenty of distruction, alot of weeks and brush, rusted rail, gons, and a MTAPD HQ. but nothing "new"

I will be passing it later tonite and will look for a new switch.

Is any of NYA's Crews GCS qualified?

by Legio X

The branch in question is the Central Branch between Bethpage and Babylon, not the Garden City spur. NYA is banned by executive order from the Governor's office in Albany, at the behest of the rich and powerful in Garden City, from operating freight service on the line. Only LIRR work trains, and very infrequently at that, use the trackage. I'm sure these movements result in a storm of 911 calls from village residents to the GCPD, stating: "There's a freight train running on the spur and that's illegal! Do something right now!!!!!"

by tushykushy

Hmmm, well you have that switch that belongs to that C&D place on the Central that has yet to lay down any track. Funny how the LIRR did it's part yet they haven't done squat.

A couple weeks ago there was a tsnumani of track workers at Wellwood Ave doing some kind of work to the East switch of the DEF. Not sure what that was all about. Maintanence? Who knows...

by Long Island 7285

BTW when the circus train came in last year, a NIMBY resident actully was telling me stories about seeing freights on a regular basis as a kid, and dose miss the action, and would clearly not mind any freight action as long as the LIRR is respectfull of not blowing horns late at night and not operating past 7pm. so all in all not all of them liveing upon the tracks are shmucks.

whats a joak is they demod a structure on the GCS north of the tracks, i beleive it was where newsday was, and i can garentee you that LIRR or NYA will not be contracted to remove the rubble, but they will clog up stewert ave with dump trucks that do not even fit on the road, when the rails are connected and are intact, and a simple train full and pull out all in daylight hours can take place.

i think patacki should be impeached just for kissing their asses alone. it was a very un educated decission from a man that seems to be pro higher education.

by tushykushy

No freights past 7PM?!

You know how crazy it is in Garden City? It is somewhat ashamed that the line isn't used as much if any present day but you go down Stewart Ave. and you observe some of those ROW's such as Clinton and Washington and imagine a freight triggering a circuit that forces the gates to be lowered anything longer than a second and you are going to see some serious rage. Those abandoned ROW's are bumpin' from dusk to dawn.

Besides... that track is some really crappy track. I still don't know how that circus train gets down there (even though theres a speed limit) without derailing *knocks on wood*

by Long Island 7285

The track is clearly SHOT. and if NYA were (just for argument sake) to get a few customers there. they would be limited to 5 MPH and all crossing would still be flaged, or lights would be put up like at quiton roosevelt blvd where you put a switchlock (i think) key in and kay the traffic lights, so not gates needed, it's done by flag man, thats how it's been done there for years even when in service post WWII.

and I think if NYA did some kind of good neighboor program something can happen, remember, they cannot make them selves an inconveinance. and cannot fowl a crossing too long, so track upgrades will be warrented.

besides, the other night I here on the news something about the hempstead hub plan. if it's no to freight they need and it's a must to go WM-Mitchel. i have to say the stupidest thing the LIRR did was fully abandon and remove tracks, they should have said there going to "stop service" but will still have full control of the line and can do what it wants when it wants period, i wonder who messed that up?

well for talk here on the forum and to make for a creative topic. here goes
Pataki signs a bill reversing the ban on freight on the GCS. and now NYAR is aloud to serve it. who will it serve, what kind of companies should move in. and what would be the ideal freight operation on the GCS with out screwing the nimbys too hard.

by icecubes

i took this picture during the summer of 2004

by badneighbor

beating a dead horse.

by Long Island 7285

Where the hell on the secondary was that shot? there is no double track East past Quinton and west of Washing ave?

by M1 9147

Joe, I'm thinking that is near Stewart Ave near the Meadowbrook behind the fences there. I forgot the street, but it is near the Coliseum which does have 2 tracks there. I got to look it up in my map.

by Long Island 7285

Neil all that is cut up, there is nothing within 100'or more of the meadowbrook and the Coliseum spur witch was where 35 used to be was long gone, i think that switch was pulled in the '80s(?)mabe before.

The places I can think of is by washington ave, but in 2004 it was single track. then that power pole leads me to (un forgiven grounds) IE the ROW where it's too close to the MTAPD to explore, and location 3 is exatly at the meadowbrook (EAST) and that i know was single track and riped up WAY long ago, The last location is on selfridge ave, by NCC? wich i know they riped that dbl track out pre 2003 caus i dorve drectly along the ROW thre is only 1 track. Other then that there leave no more locations?

Why not some street running along stewart ave in the comerical district to serve RFM haha, and along oak street to UPS :-D common that would be something.

by icecubes

Its behind the MTAPD...

But there are no signs about tresspassing and I was only taking pictures, so what can they do?

by Long Island 7285

MTAPD could either be respectfull of you wanting to explore what once was at what should be. n tell u to leave; or disrespect you and slap cuffs on you for tresspassing stating you should have known better.

by emfinite

Why must every thread be corrupted with this crap? Who cares if its behind the RR police, sneak up, take your pictures and sneak away like any normal person would.

Joe