• Furloughed on UP

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dirtydave

any body got any new numbers on how many are on the bench at csx? better yet, any body got marked up? just looking for some news, feel free to post some rumors i like reading them too. :-D
  by magnum4u2nvy

Hi Guys ,I was cubbing down here in Richmond,Va and i talked to my trainmaster and he said he has requested for 10 of us to come back because the coal is still running great i have heard that coal is supposed to decline but i haven't seen it yet,but you know i am not getting my hopes up
  by dirtydave

coal still running pretty strong out of east ky too. but i got cut off bfore i could start. trains seem to be setting at the ravenna yard a lot longer than normal, both full and empty, all coal buckets. must be cause cause so many sitting at home. any body know if the redi is gonna fire back up anytime soon?
  by sepersr

Just reading some stats, back in 2007, 21% of class 1's revenue's were coal. With the new administration talking about eliminating coal as an energy source, what's that going to do, not just to the rr's but the mines and every business associated with coal. Think of the loss of jobs system wide and nation wide.
  by csxt43

even though there is talk about "green" energy sources like windmills, nuclear power, clean coal technology, i don't think coal will be eliminated as an energy source, at least not any time soon. to get to the point where we're using windmills, etc. as enrgy and not coal, alot of money needs to be spent. with the economy how it is, i doubt it will happen soon.

from my understanding, coal is still in demand. in my area, 2 new deep mines are going to open within the next 3-5 years and i know that excavating for the shaft has already begun on one. they're supposed to be used to mine a deeper seem of coal that as far as i know has yet to ever be mined. i also understand that a lot of coal is exported to countries over sea to fire the coal fired power plants and also for steel production.
  by dirtydave

china is a main consumer of us coal. they have cut back for some reason. i guess if your communist you can just decide to not use as much coal or what ever. we'll find out soon enough the way things are headed.
several guys i work with in road construction quit and went to a big strip job in the mountains. said the job would last 15+ years. making more than me right now too.
  by Rtrain

dirtydave wrote:china is a main consumer of us coal. they have cut back for some reason. i guess if your communist you can just decide to not use as much coal or what ever. we'll find out soon enough the way things are headed.
several guys i work with in road construction quit and went to a big strip job in the mountains. said the job would last 15+ years. making more than me right now too.
umm its because they can't afford fuel right now so those people now do not have heat or their factory is not running.