• Ft. Worth-Tower 55???

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by EMTRailfan

I will be spending a few weeks in Ft. Worth in May again.

I see numerous photos on railpictures.net at Tower 55. Is there a "legal" way to get closer to it like in the angles of the photos that I mentioned. I have only ever seen it from the Intermodal Transportation Center before. Also, I have noticed overhead photos at Tower 55. What bridge are these photos taken from? The only thing I can figure is that close is the "Mixmaster", and I am almost certain that that is not where these photos are from.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... Tower%2055

Thanks for everyone's help.
  by RailsEast

EMT,
Sorry, just saw your request today (5/8)...if you haven't already left for Tx, some info for you: there is a small industrial area in the southwest corner of the UP/BNSF diamond that will allow access to trackside. I can get the name of the street later today for you, if you see this response & I'm not too late! Also, expect a visit from local PD or a UP Special Agent.....they're mostly friendly folk, though. If a UP agent confronts you, he may ask to take your picture & ID info for the UP database; that's what happened to me several years ago at Tower 55. It all happened very quickly, and we all got UP coffee mugs and the agents business card for our cooperation! There is a street overpass about a quarter mile or so south of the tower for overhead shots, but I have never shot from there. You can also try the Amtrak station just northwest of the tower; very accessible, and it's adjacent to the BNSF main. The neighborhood east of the tower on the UP main is accessible by local roads, but be advised it is a rough neighborhood, so tread carfully. Be sure to check out Centennial Yard a mile or two to the west, as there is always interesting power at the large engine facility there. A local map will get you to the area, and yard access is back behind a large local carwash and stripmall. Good luck & be safe........
Chris
  by EMTRailfan

Thanks for the help Chris. We are on our way, but are still in TN. I will most definitely be cooperative with local/UP PD. I am a firm believer that they are doing their job by checking on those trackside. I was at the Amtrak station a few years ago, and the staff, and even Amtrak crews were most friendly and "lenient" with me not having a ticket. Not sure how the yr old policy may have changed that now, but it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us. I did venture off toward Tower 55 from the station along the street, and ran into a few "questionable" ppl. No biggie, but I saw what you mean about being an area to know your surroundings.