• Freight Customers on Cape Cod

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Tracer

Just curious how many are left.

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 but i may or may not be correct:

Falmouth Transfer Station
Transfer station under the sagamore bridge?
Yarmouth Transfer Station
Otis AFB?
Power Plant along the canal

Can anyone name anymore?

Thanks
  by railfanner01

Sagamore and Canal power plant no loner receive cars and neither are active. Power plant along canal is dormant.
  by KEN PATRICK

tracer. There is no falmouth transfer station. There's an upper-cape combine transfer station at otis. The under the sagamore bridge operation is a gallo sidetrack doing nothing. Gallo had a transfer operation in a next door building for power plant screening. Dumped into a gon from roll-offs then dug out into an adjacent gon. Very messy. Don't understand why epa didn't shut it down.With plant shut down, no longer an issue. With the Bourne landfill in play, I don't see otis surviving. It's too expensive. As are railraod costs to the cape in general. Too many moves to get there. ken patrick.
  by MaineCoonCat

KEN PATRICK wrote:tracer. There is no falmouth transfer station.
At the very big risk of "nit-picking", oh yeah there is. It however does not appear to be a potential rail customer as it is about 2.4 km. (about 1½ mi.) east of the Shining Sea Bike Path (ROW) and about 4½ km. (about 2¾ mi.) southeast of the [former switch for the] spur serving the Transfer Station at Otis ANG Base.

DPW Waste Management Facility

Subdivision of Department of Public Works Administration
Crew Leader Ernie Santos
Location Thomas Landers Rd.
Falmouth, MA 02540
Phone 508-457-9353

The Waste Management Facility is Open: 8:15 to 3:30, Tuesday - Saturday
http://www.falmouthmass.us/depart.php?depkey=waste
Damn it! I missed one!
  by KEN PATRICK

papbon- sorry- i forgot that upper cape towns had the additional expense of dumping into walking flooors, then driving 10 miles to dump at otis, then railing it 15 miles to covanta. nothing could be dumber. I hope that economics puts an end to this multiple handling of msw. i argued at the inception that rail hauls off the cape to semass was lunacy . ken patrick
  by MaineCoonCat

IMHO, I'm thinking there might be value added in merging this into the Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion.