• Freight customers in Medford

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Spartan Phalanx

Is the Medford team track still in regular use? Did the NYA clean things up and make it more freight-car friendly?
  by The Tenth Legion

Spotted on the Medford Team Track yesterday afternoon: a single green CRLE double-door boxcar. Haven't been out that way in a while. It was nice to see something spotted there. Anyway, how often in Medford team track switched, and is one boxcar the norm, or are more cars, such as boxcars and flatcars, the norm? I remember in the distant past seeing Chessie System/B&O/C&O/WM, CP Rail and PC....yes, PC gondolas and the odd-Railgon being spotted on the team track loaded with scrap metal, occasionally, when there were no boxcars or flatcars with lumber/building materials spotted there. Thanks.
  by jmeechum

I had been out that way several times in the last few months before I left the Island in November, and hadn't seen anything there. (I didn't realize it was still active.) There's a few pictures of it here: http://www.lirrpics.com/medford.htm
  by The Tenth Legion

It's interesting that the trestle over Rte. 112 is for two tracks. Was this done, way back when, in anticipation of double-tracking east of Ronkonkoma at some time in the future, or did the LIRR have this trestle on hand and just decided to use it here to save time and money? I remember this trestle being a double all the way back to 1980.
  by SwingMan

The Tenth Legion wrote:It's interesting that the trestle over Rte. 112 is for two tracks. Was this done, way back when, in anticipation of double-tracking east of Ronkonkoma at some time in the future, or did the LIRR have this trestle on hand and just decided to use it here to save time and money? I remember this trestle being a double all the way back to 1980.
I think there used to be a passing siding. That bridge is pretty old.

lirr415-Peter
  by jayrmli

There was a siding in Medford many years ago, and it extended over the bridge.

Jay
  by Lazy Dawg

[quote="The Tenth Legion"]Spotted on the Medford Team Track yesterday afternoon: a single green CRLE double-door boxcar. Haven't been out that way in a while. It was nice to see something spotted there. Anyway, how often in Medford team track switched, and is one boxcar the norm, or are more cars, such as boxcars and flatcars, the norm? I remember in the distant past seeing Chessie System/B&O/C&O/WM, CP Rail and PC....yes, PC gondolas and the odd-Railgon being spotted on the team track loaded with scrap metal, occasionally, when there were no boxcars or flatcars with lumber/building materials spotted there. Thanks.[/quote]

As of this morning(3/16) this car is no longer on the siding
  by The Tenth Legion

Anything going on there at Medford team track now? Haven't been out there in a while.
  by RPM2Night

jayrmli wrote:There was a siding in Medford many years ago, and it extended over the bridge.

Jay
Did Medford have it's own block limit signal at that time too? When was the siding removed?
  by The Tenth Legion

Good question. I often wondered about the two-track bridge over Rte. 112 with only one track. I believe there is one of those weird signals at Medford in the vicinity of the team track switch, but I too would like to know if there were ever PRR-style position light signals at Medford. Thanks.

Also, anything new there, customer-wise?
  by freightguy

I think Medford's block limit was known as "MD." I don't know when the tracks were elevated or when the siding was removed. Medford team has been active with a variety of costumers over the years. More recently Triangle Pacific lumber. I did see a loaded centerbeam lumber in there and also a box on spot. I was wondering how they were going to unload the A-frame car. When Triangle gets a centerbeam it usualy is spotted up the road at Sherwood in Holtsville. It may also of been a Accent Flooring car who did take sheet rock over there.
  by Teutobergerwald

As seen from Google Earth, there is a spur that branches off to the south of the R.o.W. east of Medford LIRR Station/Team Track and just west of Gershow. Anybody know if this is an active NYA customer, or, if not, who was served by this spur? Thanks.
  by Shavano

Mis-post.
Last edited by Shavano on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by tahawus84

Spur served a gas company on peconic ave. Has not been used for anything for years except for storage of a car once and a while. Spur has been cut and the track has been aligned with the main going west. was going to be used for a new siding for the trash facility but it never happened.
  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by Medford yesterday. Nothing spotted on the team track, but lots of rail stacked up off to the side of the loading dock area. Any projects planned for that rail, or does the LIRR just leave rail stockpiled here & there for repairs? Thanks.