• Freight along Mass Pike/Washington St Newton?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

I suddenly remembered when I worked on Washington Street in Newton that there were tracks behind our building and next to the Mass Pike. I remember freight going by during the day.

I was wondering which line this is. Must be CSX. How frequent are freights on this line and would we be able to see any action on weekends?

by CSX Conductor

Yes you wuld see stuff on weekends, but along this stretch (Between CP 4 at the west end of Beacon Park Yard & CP11 where it passes over RTE128 in Weston, Ma.) is tough for train watching and photography.

I would suggest going to Framingham,Ma near the MBTA commuter station since there is public parking, stores/restaurants near by, and a few yard jobs working either in the North Framingham Yard or the CP Yard. :wink:

BTW, Yes Nells, this is the CSXT Main Line (Formerly the Boston & Albany, a.k.a. "The B&A" :-)

by njtmnrrbuff

The line through Newton in the I-90 corridor is CSX's Boston Line

by NellsChoo

So CSX trains we see in Palmer would end up in Boston, right?

by dcm74

NellsChoo wrote:So CSX trains we see in Palmer would end up in Boston, right?
Some or portions of some could end up in Boston. Most of the container and trailer traffic (Especially UPS) only goes as far as Worcester. Auto racks are going either to East Brookfield or forwarded to Guilford in Worcester. Other mixed freight for the South Shore is cut off in Framingham.

by CSX Conductor

Some auto racks are still going to the CP Yard in Framigham :wink: (I believe it's only Toyota that is still there)