Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Delawanna

I am working on an architectural project and I am having no luck finding old pictures (1930-40-50-60-70s) of the New York Central/Metro-North Fordham station building. So far I've had almost no luck with the NY Historical Society, Museum of the City of New York, the Transit Museum Archives, the NY Public Library, the Bronx County Historical Society and even Fordham University's library (though absolutely everyone I've talked to has been extremely helpful).

I am especially interested in the front view (facing Fordham Road). I appreciate any leads you may have.

Thanks

by Jeff Smith

I don't have the exact link, but try nycsubway.org or forgotten-ny.com
  by fordhamroad

-Dellawanna - that's a nice station. I teach at Fordham and use it often going downtown to Grand Central or down east to Pelham. I remember it in NY Central days when it was in nicer shape.
-I assume you have a modern picture of the front? (Fordham Road Side)
-I have seen older pictures, not too much different except for the store signs. Metro North/MTA etc. have raised the platforms but kept the original NY Central canopies, so the rear looks different. The ticket office is basically the same.
-I can't look till after Christmas --stuff packed away -- but will try to see if I have an old photo
-you might try the New York Central Historical Society --www.nychs.org. Another possibility might be in the voluminous photo files of Joseph Frank, who moderates the Yahoo NYC Transit Modellers Group

Roger

-

by Delawanna

Thanks to all for your help.
  by Jeff Smith

Dusting off an old chestnut for new news: MassTransitMag
Metro-North Railroad Announces Completion of Fordham Station Renewal

The MTA Metro-North Railroad recently announced it has completed restoration and upgrades of the Fordham Station, including a rebuilt northbound platform with double the capacity, a new entrance leading directly to Webster Avenue at 193rd Street and new permanent artwork. These upgrades follow the complete renovation of the historic station building on Fordham Road, which was completed in 2014.
Both northbound and southbound platforms were restored with customer safety and comfort in mind. They’ve been painted, cleaned and updated with rehabilitated elevators, new LED lighting, canopies, benches, real-time information monitors and public address systems. Widened and enclosed staircases also reduce commuter congestion. Platform shelters have been modernized with “Push for Heat” technology.

Metro-North acquired a narrow strip of approximately 7,128 square feet of property from Fordham University so that it could expand station’s northbound platform to nearly double its width. The platform had previously been just under 10 feet wide, and it is now more than 19 feet wide, boasting an 813-person capacity, almost double the previous capacity of 461.
  by PC1100

Great find with that old photo!