• Flying Scotsman

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

Earle Baldwin wrote:Mortons Media Group (publisher of The Railway Magazine) has released a bookazine about Flying Scotsman. I was able to pick up a copy at the Barnes & Noble in the Mommouth Mall. I recommend it to anyone interested in the locomotive.
Is that " British Steam: Past and Present by Morton Media Group"? There are a number of Flying Scotsman books on both the Barnes & Noble and Amazon websites. I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
  by Earle Baldwin

philipmartin wrote:
Earle Baldwin wrote:Mortons Media Group (publisher of The Railway Magazine) has released a bookazine about Flying Scotsman. I was able to pick up a copy at the Barnes & Noble in the Mommouth Mall. I recommend it to anyone interested in the locomotive.
Is that " British Steam: Past and Present by Morton Media Group"? There are a number of Flying Scotsman books on both the Barnes & Noble and Amazon websites. I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
Hello, Mr. Martin.

Here is the item which is on hand at the Monmouth Mall Barnes & Noble:

http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/produ ... end-reborn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It can be found on the magazine rack with the other publications such as Trains, Railways Illustrated, etc.

Good luck,
Bob
  by philipmartin

Thank you very much, Mr. Baldwin. I tried the Barnes & Noble in Middletown, and they didn't have it, so it will be Eatontown tomorrow.

Well, it's tomorrow now, and I'm in Eatontown, where the Monmouth Mall is. I got my copy of "Flying Scotsman A Legend Reborn." Twenty three bucks and I think it's worth it. 131 pages and it's got a great deal of information about the engine, and needless to say, it's well illustrated. There were three copies left in the store after I got mine.
Thank you, Mr Baldwin.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:
131 pages and it's got a great deal of information about the engine, and needless to say, it's well illustrated.
There are illustrations of others locomotives as well, one of which is the Great Northern's Stirling single, (4-2-2) Number 1. I'm a great fan of singles, particularly Gooch's.
  by Earle Baldwin

Good morning, Mr. Martin.

I'm pleased to hear you were able to get a copy of the Flying Scotsman "bookazine." I'm finding it very enjoyable. The bookazine was published by Mortons Media Group. The Railway Magazine is part of the Mortons family of publications. Mortons periodically releases these bookazines and the Monmouth Mall B&N usually carries them; this location typically offers a much better selection of train magazines than the Holmdel/Middletown store. I'll be sure to post a notice here whenever a new one is released.

All the best,
Bob Callahan
  by philipmartin

Thanks veruy much Mr. Callahan. I'm always looking for information on this GWR single that I use for an avatar.
Philip
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:
Includes video of the Flying Scotsman on the Forth Bridge
That Firth of Forth bridge certainly is singular looking, certainly 19th century engineering. It looks much more substantial than Bouch's Firth of Tay Bridge. It makes the train look tiny.
  by Earle Baldwin

philipmartin wrote:Thanks veruy much Mr. Callahan. I'm always looking for information on this GWR single that I use for an avatar.
Philip
Hi, Philip.

If you're interested in more information about Singles, a nice book to have would be "Patrick Stirling's Locomotives" by L.T.C. Rolt published in 1964 by Hamish Hamilton. Although it's been many years since it was in print, copies typically are not frightfully expensive. There are several copies presently available from third party sellers on Amazon. I buy most of my used British books from World of Books.

http://www.amazon.com/Patrick-Stirlings ... singl+rolt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards,
Bob
  by philipmartin

Thank you, Bob, for the information, and for the link. I looked for it on Amazon and didn't see it. Then I used your link, and got it.
Although I am extremely interested in railways worldwide, naturally the railroads I was familiar with in my younger days, (I'm 80 now,) are even more part of me. I'm just looking at the summer Classic Trains magazine, and the article on the L&HR makes me feel nostalgic since I worked with those guys for four years in the 1960s, at the PRR tower in Belvidere. Those L&H crews were nice guys.
I post this article from the New Rochelle Patch simply because it shows this Brian Fitzsimmons picture below in motion. You have to scroll down through the article to get to it.
http://patch.com/new-york/newrochelle/h ... ransit-mta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;