• Florida High Speed Railroad

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by chrsjrcj

If the FHSR was actually to take place, what would happen to Amtrak travelling between Miami-Tampa/Orlando? And would the FHSR have a pollicy for travel between Miami and West Palm Beach because of Tri-Rail??

by Nasadowsk

FHSR is dead. It was a flaky idea to begin with, since Florida doesn't have much in the way of in town transit, and in any case, beyond Orlando/Disney, and Miami, isn't Florida mostly just an expanse of old people?

by chrsjrcj

Orlando just had a Commuter Rail deal. Tampa has a plan for regional rail. And as I mentioned before Tri-Rail has been a great help in reducing delays on I-95 (only if they can get pass there own). People are tired of sitting in traffic to get to and from Orlando/Tampa/Miami. With old people living mainly in Southern Palm Beach County, and if Im not mistanken around Clearwater. There are tourist that may start off in Orlando go to Walt Disney World than they go take the train Tampa for Bush Gardens. I think Florida is taking measures to start the FHSR although they dont know it.

by villager

The political culture in Florida is too broken to do this in the near future. The recent votes and amendments show that there is no leadership at the executive or legislative level in Florida to get this done without ballot-box policymaking.

The expansion of the Seattle Monorail system has suffered a similar fate.