Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RC '75

What fleet is used on the non-electrified portions?
  by Mike Roque

RedSoxSuck wrote:I have been riding the Harlem line for over 15 years, and I have never seen any NH equipment north of Woodlawn
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Once in a while, NH line MU's use the Harlem for regular service.
I used to reverse commute between Fleetwood and White Plains every day back in 1996, and one day my train was NH M2/4s.

It was a unusual sight indeed! Unusual, but not impossible...

by SAABotaged900S

I was on a set of M2s between Woodlawn and Crestwood during the AM rush in I believe February or March of 2000. Our usual train (I think it was the 7:19 local to North White Plains) was about 25 minutes late, along came a set of M2s. We were confused because on occasion, about 10 minutes before our train, a NH train used to stop at Woodlawn and let off one person (RR employee I'm guessing). So they said it was the train we were waiting for, and we took it up to Crestwood, got off and were late to school! When I told the school about it, they asked why were New Haven trains doing on the Harlem Line, and proceeded to explain it to them. I don't know if they ever believed me, but I got out of detention. :-D

by mncommuter

About 5 years ago, I got on a M2/4/6 (not sure which) at Golden's Bridge headed for GCT. I asked the conductor about it, and he wasn't sure why this train was in service on the Harlem, but he said he was still trying to figure out how it worked! I guess he wasn't trained on that equipment, but it didn't stop the railroad from assigning him to it. (unless he was just kidding around about not knowing how to operate the doors)

by Otto Vondrak

M-2's are frequent visitors to Put Jct. Yard... they all go through the shop for some retrofit, I hear?

-otto-

by SAABotaged900S

Otto Vondrak wrote:M-2's are frequent visitors to Put Jct. Yard... they all go through the shop for some retrofit, I hear?

-otto-
I read a while back that when the M-2s were to be overhauled, I heard that some of the nature of the work was to be done in Brewster, I understood one of the major parts to be done there were the windows. In fact a few times I've passed through the yard, I've seen some M-2s sitting off to the side with a car or two out of the end of a building.

by Terminal Proceed

There were 2 M2s sitting on thepaint lead in the A yard in North White last night.

They had just finished painting them - so yeah - there is a lot of work on the NH stuff that gets done at Harlem line locations.

by Terrapin Station

Seems like whoever can get pics of M2/4/6 in-serivce on the Hudson or Harlem lines would score big time!