• Flange marks at Ludlow Station crossing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CGRLCDR

I drive Ludlow Station Road in Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County to get to work in the morning. Yesterday I noticed flange marks at the crossing of the old CNJ tracks, now NJT, to Phillipsburg. These tracks have been out of service since 1988. I think NJT probably inspected the track with a high-railer to check for damage from the winter. They go through there periodically, but at unpredictable times. I'd like to get a photo if I ever see them real time. Usually they only go as far as the NS boundary derailer in Bloomsbury.
  by Zeke

They usually get up there around 10 am on Monday mornings. The whole line from Cranford to end of track gets hy-railed every Monday morning after rush hour.
  by CGRLCDR

There hasn't been anything down this end of the line in over 6 months. Yesterday I checked a couple of other crossings west of Ludlow Station Road and found signs that they had been through there with a flail brush cutter. At one crossing they drove over the section of the crossing that was paved over. They're lucky they didn't got into the dirt, although with a high-railer it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I'm glad they're keeping up the Phillipsburg Branch.